Budget CDP: Can the internal DAC be a sound killer?
Feb 10, 2009 at 3:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Kevin.T

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I have a Meier Audio Corda Headfive coming soon and I was thinking about buying a pair of K701 after hearing that they go well with the amp (which came to me as a sweet post-purchase surprise).

My source is a budget Sony CD player (CDP-CE375). The built in DAC uses a "hybrid pulse" just so you know...

Being new to all this, I don't know just how much importance I have to bring to these different components and I'm always a little paranoid. So my question is this:

If I get the K701 headphones to go with my Headfive amp and plug that baby directly in the analog output of my budget Sony CDP, will the sound be thrown off, or should I be alright?

Thank you for your help and time, as always.
Kevin

Feb 10, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #2 of 25
never used that Sony, but wouldn't doubt that its a decent unit (I did enjoy my X111ES when it worked, which was the primary reason it got to take a 40ft freefall adventure)

I personally don't love multi-disc changers, mostly because you pay more for the same quality (in other words a $500 multi-disc is probably SQ comparable to a $300 single-disc), but thats more of a preference thing

it shouldn't ruin anything to give it a try, worst case scenario you're shopping for a new source in 6 months

Feb 10, 2009 at 8:38 AM Post #5 of 25
Make sure you burn that gear in first before making up your mind. The K701 improves quite a bit from burn-in.

Feb 10, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #6 of 25
My budget Pioneer DVD player sounds surprisingly good. However, you can achieve the "best" sounds by using a decent pair of interconnect cables, such as Oritek X-2. They are my best cables that give fantastic sounds on every player I've tried.

You may not need to upgrade the player but consider the cables. People keep good cables forever. Loan ones and proove them with your ears.
wink.gif

Feb 11, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by bordins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My budget Pioneer DVD player sounds surprisingly good. However, you can achieve the "best" sounds by using a decent pair of interconnect cables, such as Oritek X-2. They are my best cables that give fantastic sounds on every player I've tried.

You may not need to upgrade the player but consider the cables. People keep good cables forever. Loan ones and proove them with your ears.
wink.gif

while this is a great point, one thing to point out is that if you find a pair of IC's that are cost equivalent to a new transport/player, you might wanna compare the benefits of the ICs vs the transport/player, before jumping on the boat

but I do agree with bordins here on having decent ICs

Feb 11, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by bordins /img/forum/go_quote.gif

wink.gif

The Oritek X-2 is the one cable that I'm dying to get my hands on....
frown.gif
...I think Ori doesn't make them anymore...

Feb 11, 2009 at 1:03 PM Post #9 of 25
I'm thinking of getting these Tributaries (the 5A - Series 5) 'cause I can get them new at my local HiFi shop. Good choice?

Oh, and thanks for the responses so far!

Feb 11, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #10 of 25
Sony CE595's cd output is decent. A bit lean on bass, and slightly narrow and thin sounding. But you cant tell unless u have a better source to directly compare. The SACD output is better.

Not sure if the lower model sony will sound the same as the 595 though.

Feb 12, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most DVD players analogue out sound like trash, as do some CDP's. So a DAC is a good way to improve sound quality.

that is such a contribution, ignoring the entire thread and telling us nothing, thank you so much for that

and there are a LOT of DVD players with excellent analog outputs, ranging from $200 to $2000

Feb 12, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #13 of 25
I've used DVD players £200-£500 analogue outputs are terrible quality. Toshiba, Sony and Pioneer. When it comes to DVD players I always use offboard DAC after trying onboard. For that Sony CDP CD changer I'd definietly use a DAC.

But with your seperates kit I'm not suprised you can't the difference it's hardly the most revealing. Ditch that Yamaha av amp for a start. All you need is a moderate quality analogue stereo system.

Feb 12, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #14 of 25
price means very little for determining the quality of a product, look at Oppo's current product line-up

as far as reading my profile to harass me, next time actually research the components you're about to bash, and at least read the profile correctly, you'd see that I've got an external D/A processor for the system, in addition to various other equipment

@ iriverdude
this is probably the 8th or 9th thread in the last week you've derailed, good job

Feb 12, 2009 at 10:37 AM Post #15 of 25
You use the Yamaha as a pre-amp thought right? They're really nothing special. I owned a Yamaha av amp. Your seperates gear are quite low end. So you cannot tell the difference, but I can because I have a more revealing system. Go to a Hi-Fi shop and take your best sounding DVD player and compare against a Hi-Fi CDP on a nice stereo system.

Good sounding DVD players will be things like Arcam. Not Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba, Pioneer.

So please continue making a fool of yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back