Budget Cartridge For Technics SL-D5
Mar 14, 2012 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

DrewHulva

New Head-Fier
I've been playing my Technics SL-D5 with what looks like the stock cartridge for awhile now with a generic replacement needle to hold me over until I found the right cartridge. My research tell me that choosing a cartridge is difficult due to the matching of tonearm weight, plinth, etc. My question is, based on my turntable, what would a good budget cartridge be? My budget is $0 to around $100 or so. I'm willing to push the budget some, but I'm looking to get the biggest bang for my buck until I upgrade tables in a few years after college.

Some info on the audio gear. SL-D5 - Phono Stage of a Pioneer SA-V70 - Pioneer bookshelf speakers (model number extremely long) and a passive home theater subwoofer. I know that the system is somewhat hodge-podge, but Its gear I've acquired over the years. The amp is actually my fathers from 1986, and I've had the speakers since I was 13 or so. I'm now 19, and the setup has always pleased my ears.

Oh, and I will be doing occasional listening through AT-M50s and Superlux 668B, if it matters. If you haven't checked out Superlux, then here's a free advertisement for them. Very organic mids, not bass heavy, and really sparkle.

I digress. What are your thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back