Budget bookshelves that can fill a decent sized room with decent sound (with a sub)?
Feb 19, 2005 at 2:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

rodbac

1000+ Head-Fier
Basically, I'm upgrading some JBL E50s to something with better sound.

They'll be matched with a sub, but I still want them to be able to fill a medium sized room with sound.

What are some good recs for powerful, but inexpensive, bookshelves for a 2.1 setup?

Feb 19, 2005 at 2:31 AM Post #2 of 25
I love my Mission M31's or Infinity 150's, or Paradigm Mini Monitors, or Axioms or Polks, or other nice speakers with a 6 1/2" woofer. The Missions and Infinity's are 5 1/2" though.

Feb 19, 2005 at 3:04 AM Post #3 of 25
People looking for good speakers at a good price should look at Athena.My favorites are the Von Schweikerts but they cost quite a bit more.Athena speakers are really not that far behind for a much lower price.

Feb 19, 2005 at 5:09 AM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Depends what you define as inexpensive.

That's always the million dollar question (if not the answer), isn't it?

I was trying to stay around $200 used, but if I can't find a pair used (fleabay or here) I'll up the budget and get something like the M22Tis or the M3Tis.

Feb 19, 2005 at 11:02 AM Post #7 of 25
Depending on your amp, look for one with a higher sensitivity. 90dB/1W @ 1M should be sufficient. Also find one that's easy to drive 6 or 8 ohm..

But if your amp is a high output, high current design you don't need to bother with such things, just buy what sounds good
biggrin.gif

Feb 19, 2005 at 8:52 PM Post #10 of 25
Thanks for the suggestions.

My room config is a 40' x 16' room with the equipment at one end. The speakers will likely be shelved in a cabinet-type wall unit (custom built for the house), so front-porting is probably desirable (if not necessary). I have an Onkyo 502 receiver doing the duties and a POS Wharfedale sub that's going to be replaced sometime before too long.

I think I just have to get past the idea of trying to buy speakers that can shine without the sub (in the bass department). It's just that this sub disappears when the volume is below 'dance' levels (I have to turn the volume up quite a ways to deepen the sound), so I've got this hangup about finding speaks that can give me nice, deep sound when the sub isn't booming.

Of course, a better sub might solve this, making much bass unnecessary in the bookshelves.

Why is this such a hard decision to pull the trigger on?

Feb 19, 2005 at 9:19 PM Post #11 of 25
heh, what's with all these people and HUGE rooms? :)
For that sized room you're going to need something special..look at towers with decent poweramps and decent sub(s) and mess around with bass manangement on mains/subwoofer(s)

Feb 20, 2005 at 12:57 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necros
heh, what's with all these people and HUGE rooms? :)
For that sized room you're going to need something special..look at towers with decent poweramps and decent sub(s) and mess around with bass manangement on mains/subwoofer(s)

I agree with his directions. Well, how about monitor speakers? Slightly bigger than bookshelf, but smaller than tower and full-size speaker.
JBL 4312

Feb 20, 2005 at 5:10 AM Post #13 of 25
40 feet by 16 feet?!?
eek.gif

bookshelf/sub setup is going to get lost in a space that size. that's a really tough space to fill with decent sound for 200 clams.

have you thought about doing a half-court basketball court instead?
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 20, 2005 at 6:31 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

have you thought about doing a half-court basketball court instead?

smily_headphones1.gif
(it's a family room + 'nook' area + kitchen, and it's where everyone inevitably ends up during cocktail parties, so I'd like it all to be one big dance floor, so to speak)

To be honest, my standards are fairly low.

I don't need it "rave"-level, and it doesn't have to be a system that makes a Stereophile reviewer run for the bathroom with a bottle of Jergens.

The JBL E50s that I have now do a yeoman's job to my ears. I'm just thinking I want something more- it may not be the bookshelves at all, but rather that motherfcking sub (Wharfedale Topaz SW-10, iirc).

Jesus- I'm absolutely paralyzed trying to decide what to buy here.

Well, I know I'm going to want that sub out of here for sure, so maybe I'll replace it first and see how it all sounds and go from there. Or those RT55s I see on fleabay...
wink.gif
Those look like they might do the trick...

Feb 20, 2005 at 6:34 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamP88
Depends what you define as inexpensive.

For ~$400 the Axiom M22ti's can fill a decent sized room with exceptional sound (with a sub).

Even the M3ti's I have them, and a sub and I'm quite happy with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back