Budget Beater Recommendation
Mar 13, 2019 at 10:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

phazer11

New Head-Fier
Hello all!
I find myself in need of a set of budget beaters. I got a set of Sony MDRX05's like 5.5-6 years ago for a steal, love them. Would still use them as my beaters if not for the fact that the pillow on the right cup tore and the foam keeps slipping out, been that way for a year but now I'm having to put the foam back in every time I take them off, instead of every time I unfolded them from my bag.

These will be used when I'm out and about, or when working away from home so being able to fold the cups as in the MDRX05's might help. Also I'm partial to the right angle plug rather than the banana style plug. I've had too many issues with banana plugs in the past.

Anyways I'd prefer to spend less than $50, money's tight with dad's medical bills but as I can't get any work done without music, something must be done! I refuse to use earbuds or IEMs, I'm real careful with my hearing.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2019 at 10:30 PM Post #2 of 10
Earbuds and IEMs won't damage your hearing unless you play them at loud levels; as long as what reaches your eardrums is the same sound level, your chances of hearing loss are basically the same. For that reason, I do think you should re-consider IEMs if you're looking for beaters, since they're a lot easier to carry around in a bag.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #3 of 10
For on the go beaters I would go iem as well, preferably with a replaceable cable. My vote would go to the m6 pro 2nd generation due to ease of replacing everything, extra cable and accessories included, and a warranty that says if you lose it pay a far less than retail price and we replace it. So an ideal beater in my book, plus it sounds good too.

For over the ear Superlux 668b or 681 Evo. Smaller on ears Portopros or ksc 75.

Mar 14, 2019 at 1:56 AM Post #6 of 10
Tin Audio T2 can be bought for under $50, I think. They are rated to be one of the best for the price range.
They are a pair of IEMs, and like everyone said, as long as you don't listen to it very loud, you should be fine.

Mar 15, 2019 at 12:25 AM Post #7 of 10
Thanks for the replies.
I'd had the KSC75 and Superlux HD-681 EVO on my list before but I'll add the others mentioned now.

Koss KSC75 Portable Stereophone Headphones - $15 (banana plug)
Massdrop x Koss KSC75X On-Ear Headphones - $17 (has in-line microphone and almost 90-degree plug with ribbing)
Monoprice 8323 - $23
Superlux HD668B Dynamic Semi-Open Headphones - $40
Superlux HD-681 EVO - $43
Massdrop x AKG M220 Pro Headphones - $50 (supposed to be very much like the AKG K240)
Samson SR850 Semi-Open-Back Studio Reference Headphones - $50
AKG K240STUDIO Semi-Open Over-Ear Professional Studio Headphones - $59

The biggest issues I've had making my list is portability. The KSC75 and Monoprice's seemed the best in this regard.

I've never been able to stand those kinds of metal bands on the Porta Pros. Main issue I had with the Koss KSC75's is they have the 80's style foam things which are prone to disintegrating and also I'd imagine catching pollen. I live in Florida and pollen is an issue. Also the non-Massdrop ones have a non-ribbed banana plug.

I'm wary of IEM's as I've ruptured my right ear drum 4 times due to illnesses, though luckily no loss but it has made me careful of what I stick in my ears.You all do bring good points however, and they also wouldn't have as much of a pollen issue. Still I don't know.

Sound isolation or noise-canceling would be nice but that costs $, that said a friend is ordering COWIN E7 Active Noise Cancelling Headphones from amazon's best-seller's listing. Will be interesting what he says still never heard of the brand. Now if it didn't have the same dang kind of issue with the earpads as my MDR-x05's I'm replacing I'd probably try MDR-ZX110NC just to see if the noise cancellation was decent, but enough of that tangent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back