Budget Balanced amp or not?
Feb 26, 2019 at 8:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

nicholars

Headphoneus Supremus
Both of my headphones have a balanced cable option, so I am considering a balanced amp, a lot of people seem to like them, so I assume a balanced amp should be better than unbalanced. But are there any good budget balanced amps?

Are there any balanced amps at a lower price, that would perform better than similar priced single ended amps? I read that balanced is not necessarily better than single ended, depends how good the amp is. I already have all the cables and a balanced DAC, so I would like to try one, but are there any good budget balanced amps, or would I be better off with a single ended amp at this sort of price? Thanks.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #2 of 12
Same boat as you, coming from a single ended NFB-11. Recently bought an SMSL SU-8 and may pull the trigger on a Massdrop LCX soon since the THX AAA 789 is never in stock.

I've been told you can hear a difference and I'm ready for an upgrade. There are other amps in this category like the Aune X7s which is a fine amp but unfortunately not fully balanced.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #3 of 12
Yes I have read that balanced in not necessarily better though, for example a very good unbalanced amp would be better than a mediocre balanced amp. So considering I could get a pretty good single ended amp used for not very much, I am thinking I would possibly be better with a good single ended amp for now, possibly in future I will try a better balanced amp, but it looks to me like it would be approx double to get a "good" balanced amp vs a "good" unbalanced amp. The balanced at that point would probably be better.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #4 of 12
But if anyone can tell me about some good budget balanced amp that I have missed, eg. a balanced amp that would perform better than a similar price unbalanced amp, I would be very interested!

Feb 26, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #5 of 12
But if anyone can tell me about some good budget balanced amp that I have missed, eg. a balanced amp that would perform better than a similar price unbalanced amp, I would be very interested!

Performing “better” is a bit ambiguous. With a balanced amp you’re paying for essentially two amplifiers in one. It’s hard to deliver the same performance per dollar that you could with half as many amplifier circuits. That said, if you consider budget to include amps at the $400 level, a Schiit Jotunheim should be on your list to look at.

Feb 27, 2019 at 6:08 AM Post #6 of 12
Yes also I guess it makes sense that it would cost "almost double" for a comparable balanced amp, because they need to have double the amount of components compared to a single ended amp!

Feb 27, 2019 at 6:39 AM Post #7 of 12
Both of my headphones have a balanced cable option, so I am considering a balanced amp, a lot of people seem to like them, so I assume a balanced amp should be better than unbalanced. But are there any good budget balanced amps?

Are there any balanced amps at a lower price, that would perform better than similar priced single ended amps? I read that balanced is not necessarily better than single ended, depends how good the amp is. I already have all the cables and a balanced DAC, so I would like to try one, but are there any good budget balanced amps, or would I be better off with a single ended amp at this sort of price? Thanks.

"so I assume a balanced amp should be better than unbalanced"

Don't think that's a general true statement . There are a lot of discussions on this topic.

Feb 27, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #8 of 12
"so I assume a balanced amp should be better than unbalanced"

Don't think that's a general true statement . There are a lot of discussions on this topic.

Well that is what I said, I think lets say for example the absolute best single ended amp, vs the absolute best balanced amp, AFAIK the balanced amp would be better. But then for example a single ended amp at the same price may very well be better than a balanced amp. I don't really have any experience or know what I am talking about, I am simply quoting what other more experienced people said. Apparently balanced / unbalanced also makes less difference than pretty much anything else, apparently it would be : Headphones > amp > dac > balanced / unbalanced, in order if any improvements to sound.

Feb 27, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #9 of 12
Well that is what I said, I think lets say for example the absolute best single ended amp, vs the absolute best balanced amp, AFAIK the balanced amp would be better. But then for example a single ended amp at the same price may very well be better than a balanced amp. I don't really have any experience or know what I am talking about, I am simply quoting what other more experienced people said. Apparently balanced / unbalanced also makes less difference than pretty much anything else, apparently it would be : Headphones > amp > dac > balanced / unbalanced, in order if any improvements to sound.
Don't trust those experts. Bring your phone to a meet or shop to see if you like the sound. Or buy something you can easily re-sale (i.e. a used wa22). Good luck!

Mar 16, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #10 of 12
I would discourage buying an amp solely because it has a balanced out. Sound signature and synergy with the rest of your chain should be your primary concerns when purchasing an amp. A balanced out isn't necessarily better. I've heard many balanced amps that sound better than SE, and I've heard just as many SE that sound better than balanced. Focus on finding an amp that has the sound signature you like, if it has a balanced out then that's good, if not then don't lose any sleep over it.

Mar 16, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #11 of 12
I would discourage buying an amp solely because it has a balanced out. Sound signature and synergy with the rest of your chain should be your primary concerns when purchasing an amp. A balanced out isn't necessarily better. I've heard many balanced amps that sound better than SE, and I've heard just as many SE that sound better than balanced. Focus on finding an amp that has the sound signature you like, if it has a balanced out then that's good, if not then don't lose any sleep over it.

I would add that it’s important to make sure the amp is appropriate for the headphones. For example, an output transformerless tube amp will not be a good match to low impedance high current headphones, balanced or not.

Mar 17, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #12 of 12
I would add that it’s important to make sure the amp is appropriate for the headphones. For example, an output transformerless tube amp will not be a good match to low impedance high current headphones, balanced or not.

100% agree. Synergy between the amp and headphones is the most important thing IMO. Finding an amp that will be a great match to the headphones you plan to use the most will make you very happy in the long run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back