"budget" balanced amp for headphones AND speakers
Sep 27, 2008 at 9:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

atothex

1000+ Head-Fier
By "budget," I mean something under $2000, used. I'm thinking something along the lines of a Beta22. However, balanced ones aren't easy to find, and I would ideally want something that can handle a couple SE headphones, as well.

Everyone says the Beta is probably the best quality, reasonably priced headphone amp that can also drive speakers. What about great budget speaker amps that can also do balanced headphones well?

I see so many items on Audiogon that I've never heard of, it makes my head spin. No, I can't DIY, and I probably don't want to spend time or money to learn how. Can anyone help me?

Sep 28, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #2 of 12
So an integrated amp capable of driving speakers with balanced inputs AND balanced headphone outputs? And under $2000 used? Can't think of one off the top of my head.

What kind of speakers?

Sep 28, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #4 of 12
Add the Zorbel Network to the Balanced B22 and you would have a mighty nice combo!

Just get a switch to go between the speaker outputs and the headphone outputs.

I am guessing that anyone who has their DIY creation for sale could likely do the modification for not too much money.

Sep 28, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Add the Zorbel Network to the Balanced B22 and you would have a mighty nice combo!

Just get a switch to go between the speaker outputs and the headphone outputs.

I am guessing that anyone who has their DIY creation for sale could likely do the modification for not too much money.

ok I'll bite why would you add a Zobel network to a beta as opposed to any other amp?

balanced integrated amps that also have a balanced headphone out are pretty nonexistent. What speakers are you going to be driving, this determines your amp more than anything else. Now if you were looking for a balanced preamp that also drives headphones balanced you've got a few choices.

Sep 28, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #6 of 12
AMB explains it on the website

Goto "Wiring and Ground" and it is near the bottom of the page

Zobel network
In each of the three configurations above, if the amplifier is intended to drive speakers, the Zobel networks as shown (22Ω 2W metal oxide power resistor and 0.047µF 100V film capacitor in series) should be connected across the output binding posts of each channel to compensate for the inductive speaker load. Without the Zobel network, the amplifier may become unstable under certain conditions. If your β22 will only serve headphone duty, then the Zobel network could be omitted.

BTW: People were asking about the Beta 22 - other amps could be used, it was just a suggestion

Sep 28, 2008 at 5:42 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok I'll bite why would you add a Zobel network to a beta as opposed to any other amp?

balanced integrated amps that also have a balanced headphone out are pretty nonexistent. What speakers are you going to be driving, this determines your amp more than anything else. Now if you were looking for a balanced preamp that also drives headphones balanced you've got a few choices.

Ok, that answers my question pretty definitively. I haven't really decided on speakers (I don't have anything, yet), but I assume I will be getting a pair of single drivers in big wood towers. Probably with a sub, eventually.

So the Beta would only serve as a preamp or power amp?

Sep 28, 2008 at 6:59 AM Post #9 of 12
A four board Beta 22 maybe?
They show up for sale once in a while, and can certainly be had within your budget. With money left over...

Sep 28, 2008 at 11:30 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Progenitor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Talking about Beta 22, do anyone know of any UK/European builder?

There are a handfull European β22 builders/owners, but you might try MrMajestic2 from Sweden (not sure if he will accept it but you never know).
wink.gif

Personally, I don't have the time to build amp for others.

Sep 30, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #12 of 12
So do those male XLR preamp outs work for headphones? Dedicated headphone amps always have female XLR outs.

I'm mostly wondering if any speaker amps or preamps can sound as good as, say a GS-X for balanced phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back