Budget AV Receiver under $200???
Apr 19, 2007 at 6:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

BigD

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi,

Any suggestion is welcome. I need 5.1channel av receiver with probably optical/coax/component connections. Price range under $200 please unless it's really great for $300. Digital amp is fine too.

Thanks.

Apr 19, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #2 of 15
Onkyo is respected for their budget offerings (and higher-end stuff).

You might find a better value by looking for used receivers, though that's considerably more time-consuming.

Apr 19, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #3 of 15
Not easy since good multichannel stuff are generally expensive, but the Panasonic SA-XR55S exactly fit your bills.

You may also look at Marantz receivers, like the SR4400 or SR5400, and several other ones.
or Denon AVR-587 or 687, these look very hot in term of features actually, and I love the description of their sound by people who own denon amps.

Just some I found that may worth a try not that I actually owned them, you probably have to read more one them to see if they really worth it, but the last two are made from a hifi product company.

I know harman kardon and yamaha can be good candidates, but probably stay away from the cheaper ones they made today, seem to get reviews that sometimes they don't produce good wattage despite what stated or have sharp trebly sounding, both I have experiences with a few myself, like that pioneer receiver that is 100watt but light as a feather.

Apr 19, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #5 of 15
I just received the Panny SA-XR55. And I'm waiting to set it up. I will try and give you impressions on it soon, but it may be a while. From all the reviews I have read, it definitely is worth it's price. I would highly consider it.

Apr 19, 2007 at 8:25 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raphael /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just received the Panny SA-XR55. And I'm waiting to set it up. I will try and give you impressions on it soon, but it may be a while. From all the reviews I have read, it definitely is worth it's price. I would highly consider it.

Even the older Pany digiamp got many ravings for its performance/value. Improved speaker binding posts from the old model is big bonus.

Apr 19, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
onkyo. 5.1, 24bit dac; my personal fav. budget receiver.

Thelonious Monk,
I don't see subwoofer out in the back...There's only pre-out for subwoofer. Is that mean only powered subwoofer can be used??? Mine is clearly not active and powered. Thanks.

Apr 19, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's only pre-out for subwoofer.

I think that this is the case for most current receivers, because nearly all subwoofers designed for home theater usage have LFE input. Actually, most subwoofers currently manufactured are active/powered.

I'll warn against Denon's budget offerings... They are notoriously unreliable. Their higher-end stuff seems nice, though.

Apr 20, 2007 at 5:14 PM Post #11 of 15
BigD: Will you use your surround system primarily for music or for movie purposes - i.e. does it foremost have to sound good for stereo, or are surround sound and options more important for you?

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Apr 20, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #12 of 15
Denon 785 (1905) (Manufacturer Recertified) for $188
> http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=757311

Great receiver and does many things!! I got one 2 years ago and it's working everyday for at least 5 hours without any hick-ups on my 7.1 system. Very musical and very well built...

Apr 20, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #13 of 15
I'd recommend Onkyo's 50X series. This particular series well-known for its excellent sound quality for both 2 channel and multi-channel playback. Currently, J&R is clearing out the 504 for as little as $200.00 shipped (silver is $30.00 more). The just-introduced 505 is $50.00 with "Audyssey 2EQ" auto room calibration and HDMI pass thru....sounds like an amazing buy as well.

Just to point out....Pioneer's 816 will give you pre-outs on all channels for under $300.00, making it a good starting point as as a pre/pro. Still, the Onkyo's are hard to beat.

Apr 20, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BigD: Will you use your surround system primarily for music or for movie purposes - i.e. does it foremost have to sound good for stereo, or are surround sound and options more important for you?

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Most likely for more movies than music. Therefore surround sound will have more weight in its usage.

After realizing that I need a new subwoofer, I'm actually considering getting the Hsu HB-1 and VTF2 combo series. Really nice bargain. Another bonus is its efficiency. No need for massive av receiver.
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/enthusiast2.html

Quote:

I'd recommend Onkyo's 50X series. This particular series well-known for its excellent sound quality for both 2 channel and multi-channel playback. Currently, J&R is clearing out the 504 for as little as $200.00 shipped (silver is $30.00 more). The just-introduced 505 is $50.00 with "Audyssey 2EQ" auto room calibration and HDMI pass thru....sounds like an amazing buy as well.

I'm definately leaning toward Onkyo 504 for its versatility and price. I'll check out the 505 though. Thanks guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back