budget audiophile CDPs: NAD 521BEE vs. NAD 542. (Rock fans take note.)
Dec 4, 2005 at 3:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

ExhumingMcCarthy

New Head-Fier
For those pondering the NAD 521BEE vs. the NAD 542 (price difference about $200 USD), my personal preference, having spent several days with each, is for the 542.

I spent a few days with the 521BEE, listening through Audioquest’s Diamondback interconnects and the Grado RA-1/RS-1 combo. I was astounded by the performance of this unit—esp. something that retails for $300 USD. The smooth highs and crazy detail are particularly amazing. That said, I was unsatisfied, and returned it after awhile for the 542—there was something missing with the 521BEE.

Honestly, after a few days with the 542, the only difference I could clearly discern between the two CDPs (aside from the 542’s HDCD decoding) was much more power and definition in the lower end in the 542. But what a difference! I largely played the same discs on both players. Whereas John Entwistle’s bass and Keith Moon’s drums on The Who’s “Real Me” (Track two, Disc One of “Quadrophenia”) lacked punch with the 521BEE, they absolutely kicked on the 542. Similarly, I could discern the extremely low, subtle chord changes on the bass in Radiohead’s “Morning Bell” (the “Kid A” version), but these often eluded me on the 521BEE. I *think* I might pick up a bit more detail and expansive soundstage from the 542, but if so, it’s damn subtle. The 542’s bass, however, is staggeringly more satisfactory, and for me, it is worth every penny.

I am writing this mostly for fellow rock fans out there (well, and rap fans for that matter—anyone who appreciates a nice, um…bottom?)—I just doubt you’d be fully happy with the 521BEE—even though it’s a fine, fine unit for the price. I’d save the clams for the 542. (Moon would if he were still with us.) That said, I was amazingly impressed with the two NADs, not only in terms of sound, but also value, build quality, and mechanical performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back