Budget Audiophile Cans
May 20, 2010 at 4:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

PingaConMayo

New Head-Fier
          This is my first post of any kind on the site (literally created my profile 3 minutes ago), so I come to you all with due humility. My Sony MDR-V600 conked out recently after several years of use and I'm looking to move up the ladder a bit to a finer set of cans. I wasn't too pleased with the overall sound quality of the Sonys, fairly colored and muddy in general, but they made up for it to a certain degree in the realms of comfort and sound isolation.
          Now I'm working with a budget of around $150 or less (give or take a little) and looking for a really dynamic pair of headphones. I would be using them both at my computer as well as in relatively noisy environments as I am a college student in a very metropolitan city and intend to listen to my iPod classic around town. So far, my research has left with several main contenders, including the Grado SR-60i and 80i's, the Audio-Technica M50's, the AKG K 240 MKII's, and the Denon D1001's. The Grados are my first choice because of their first class SQ and incredible value for minimal cost, but their weakness in the area of sound isolation in areas with even moderate ambient noise makes me really apprehensive. The rest of the phones seem to have a strong balance of sound quality, comfort, and isolation that would suit my needs.
          I know that's a long list of options, but I know that this is the best place to go for all things audio and I hope you guys will help me out. Feel free to comment on all the models I listed, individual models, etc. and please don't hesitate to suggest sets that I haven't listed. I am in no way settled on any one pair and am open to the suggestion of your sage advice. Thanks a million everyone!

May 20, 2010 at 5:00 AM Post #2 of 6
add SRH840 and DJ750 from Shure on your list. I strongly recommend closed can headphones for your use, so no Grados. The Denon D1001 don't have that great of a sound isolation.

I would recommend M50's or SRH 840's or DJ750's, but don't take my word for it, research :wink:

For your ipod, I'd recommend an LOD and an amp.The cheap combo of a Fiio L1 and Fiio E5 might be worth a look, should be worth 28$ together. You live in the USA?

May 20, 2010 at 8:20 AM Post #4 of 6
What music do you listen to? I'll throw out the Sennheiser HD-25s as an option.

May 20, 2010 at 11:06 AM Post #5 of 6
I live in the U.S. and my music taste is pretty eclectic. I tend to run the gambit from rap to classical, rock to alternative, podcast to salsa, and most things in between.  That's why I'm looking for something dynamic, more well rounded than simply a powerhouse in producing perfect highs or a sub attached to my ear (though I do think I'm inclined to the former end of the spectrum,) As for the Fiios, I was actually planning on getting an E5 regardless, so I'll add the L1 to my list. So now love for Grados, eh? I was thinking of modding them with the L cush or G cush bowls and switiching back and forth between them and the stock pads and maybe providing myself with a little more isolation whenever I went out. I guess you guys are right though, they're main downfall really cripples them for my uses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back