Budget amp with HD650
Nov 17, 2008 at 9:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Duckman

500+ Head-Fier
Hello, first post here.

I wonder if anyone here can tell me whether the Hornet is a good match with Senn HD650.

Is it possible to drive these phones well with a sub-$400 amp. All suggestions most welcome.

Cheers,

Dave

Nov 17, 2008 at 10:25 AM Post #2 of 9
I can tell u Hornet drives HD600 pretty well...i did try with HD650 for short while and found the Highs were much more recessed compared to HD600.

didnt really analyse much but that was my first impression

Nov 17, 2008 at 4:12 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duckman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello, first post here.

I wonder if anyone here can tell me whether the Hornet is a good match with Senn HD650.

Is it possible to drive these phones well with a sub-$400 amp. All suggestions most welcome.

Cheers,

Dave

To my ears, both the 600 and 650 sound amazing with any of the little dot or darkvoice tube amps. I would say the little dot mk IV or IVse would be good. IV is about $350 shipped to the US. I've heard really good things about the darkvoices, too, but I don't know much about them.

Nov 18, 2008 at 2:43 AM Post #6 of 9
Thanks for the replies: will look into all suggestions. Lunchbox may be out, since I would like the amp to drive my TripleFi's too and it doesn't seem compatable with low impedance phones.

I see tubes are the order of the day!

Nov 18, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #7 of 9
I agree with the others, go for a little dot or darkvoice. The hornet is great, but its a portable amp, and unless you're gonna be on the move with HD650s, it'll be outclassed by the desktop amps in the same price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back