Budget Amp (or DAC?) for Sony MDR SA5000
Aug 17, 2018 at 5:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

subharmonic

100+ Head-Fier
So - a number of years ago, I bought a set of SA5000.
They are superb headphones - but very fatiguing - plus I bought them to be used as reference cans as I'm a bit of a music producer.
The cans are as many will know very bright - great for clarity, but not very true (or flat response) either.
I know some people reckon that using cans to mix is a no-no but sometimes due to constraints on the volume I can play by large speakers at, sometimes the cans are the only option.

But I've a real problem with the way the SA5000 present the audio - mixes from the headphones are wildly off compared with playback from my speakers.

Now it could be that my speakers aren't properly calibrated for the room I'm listening in (which I'm planning on fixing soon), but given that everyone here seems to know how bright the SA5000 are, I have a feeling that the sonic signature of the cans are playing a big part in this.

So - I think I need to get an amp sorted out which will help to correct the cans.
Currently I'm just using the headphone out of my old EMU 1820m soundcard breakout box to drive the cans.
But is there something out there that will improve my sound, and won't break the bank? (I'm thinking £100 max)

Or should I just admit defeat and sell these cans to get something that's more appropriate for what I'm wanting to doo, and appropriate for my bank balance?

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Re: calibration of my speakers - I plan on getting a Sonarworks set-up to get them sorted and do realise that you can get headphone calibration from the same people (though the SA5000 aren't listed as compatible for Sonarworks so far.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back