Budget Amp + iPod Line Out
Feb 16, 2012 at 12:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ElJavi

New Head-Fier
Hey Forum, couple of questions and open to opinions.I am looking to pair up my V-Moda Crossfade LP's to an amp. Currently looking into the Fiio 11, zigis Cmoy(not BB), P2AV2, & possibly the iBasso T3 (but this one is a bit excessive in price)

First question: Taking into consideration that I will be using it on a 12+ hour flight, and also be used for commuting, which one will best fit my needs? Long battery life is important as I will not have a power source to recharge often, so being able to replace batteries seems like a good option. Do any of these have a decent battery life? Will it be better to go for an amp w/ replaceable batteries? Also, will the iBasso T3 be of substantial improvement if I fork out the extra cash? Sound quality I hear are similar. I like bass, not necessarily a bass-head. Music style ranges from Flamenco classical to techno, very wide range of music really.

Second question: In terms of the iPod line out cable, I see that the Fiio L9 is moderately priced as is the SendStation. Of these two, which one is a better choice? Any positive/negative experiences with these? Also, I see on ebay some DIY/custom line out cables selling for $30 to over $80. Are these going to actually be of any improvement to sound quality, or are they just hype and a waste of money. They claim to be pure copper, pure silver, high grade connectors, etc.

I appreciate you guys/gals help

Here is an example of on of the highest priced ipod line out cables on ebay ($86)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Line-Out-Dock-LOD-Solid-Core-Mundorf-Gold-iPod-/250841992906?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item3a67590eca

Feb 16, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #2 of 7
Go with the FiiO, I have the L3 and its served me well. Inexpensive, has held up to some light abuse and if it breaks, buy another one for 8 bucks instead of putting a gun to your head over a broken $100 LOD.

As far as the amp goes, my suggestion would be to save up for something in the $100-$150 price range. I used a PA2V2 for a while and while it's good for the price, anything in the above tier blows it out of the water. Save up for a solid entry level amp and buy once.

The T3 is a solid performer, a good all rounder in terms of size (portability), sound, battery life and build quality.

Mar 2, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #5 of 7
Do NOT get the SendStation. I had 3 faulty ones from Amazon. The line out jack didn't work properly on any of them. I have the FiiO L9 LOD. Works nicely with my iPhone and c421 amp for a nice compact rig with minimal excess wire. I also have a 6" long LOD from RAM Electronics that cost about $30 and is nice quality and custom made to order.

6945784891_aa40e230e1.jpg

Mar 2, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #6 of 7
Get the E11 with 3 extra batteries and the Fiio L cable.

Mar 2, 2012 at 5:43 AM Post #7 of 7
If you gonna use the Crossfade LP I wiil suggest that you buy and E11+L9 and save the rest of the money for the next headphone upgrade
smily_headphones1.gif
 (which will come,eventually).

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back