Budget amp for turntable listening using Mad Dog Pro's
Jan 25, 2015 at 9:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

ruleof72

100+ Head-Fier
Hi All,

Last month, after a lot of research and saving, I made the decision to get back into vinyl and purchased a Pro-Ject Carbon DC turntable. I've started off re-acquiring the albums I had as a kid along with a few new ones. I'm really enjoying it and the sound coming out of the turntable is great when piped through my main system's speakers. Now it's time to get a headphone amp so I can enjoy all the analog goodness through my Mad Dog Pro's.

I have a Schiit Magni in my digital setup (via Logitech Media Server and streaming) and while I guess I could use it for the turntable I'd need to do some rearranging as my Magni is right next to my listening chair while the turntable is across the room. My preference is to get another quality yet budget-friendly amp that will pair well with the analog output from the turntable.

I've been really happy with the Magni and I've considered the Vali as a possible amp figuring that maybe the tubes would go well with the turntable. The price is definitely right, that's for sure.

I'm interested in everyone's experiences and opinions on what amps might be a good match with the turntable and the Mad Dogs. I'm open to tubes or transistors. Budget is under $200.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back