budget amp for lcd-2
Jan 18, 2011 at 1:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

lazerboyz

Head-Fier

I just bought myself a set of LCD-2. I feel that headphones upgrade is the most prominent in the whole chain, and i have a pretty tight budget. thats why i decided to get the LCD-2 and drive it with a hopefully mid fi dac/amp. currently using the Audinst. Previously i had HD-650 and Denon D7k, and have much time with Darkvoice 337 and had some experience with Lehmann Audio Black Cube Linear. Honestly, i didnt sound much difference for both the headphones with darkvoice, BCL, and even the headamp out of the Audinst.

However, i got to try out LCD-2 with a set of Leben and it was pretty impressive, so i decided to get the set of cans. Now, using LCD-2, i tried to compare between using Darkvoice 337 and Audinst Headamp out and distinctly hears quite a big difference. I used to think that audinst was a very good set, judging from the fact that i couldn't hear much difference between it and the other dedicated amps. but now that there is a difference, i would like to ask for any recommendations for any dac or amp upgrade.

i know im rambling alot.. i spent quite a bomb on the set of cans and have a little tight budget for the dac/amp. thanks in advance. :)

P.S. im suspecting the difference is due to darkvoice being a tube amp. :S

Jan 18, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #2 of 12
Congrats on owning a LCD-2! I wish I could have one, someday.

If your Audinst already makes them sound good, maybe you should stick with it for the time being?

Jan 18, 2011 at 5:54 AM Post #3 of 12
This may be pricey, especially after buying such highly-renown headphones... but easylove has a Mapletree HD Purist for a darn good price...

Only thing is he lives in France, so I ended up buying my Mapletree from Olias, since he was a fairly close sale.

Either way, the prices these guys were/are asking is a great deal less than retail, AND minus the 6+ week wait time... So if you can afford it comfortably, or even somewhat uncomfortably, I say jump on it! It's not often a Mapletree owner decides to sell their amp. (Unless you're like Olias who had two!)

Jan 18, 2011 at 6:01 AM Post #4 of 12

Quote:
Congrats on owning a LCD-2! I wish I could have one, someday.

If your Audinst already makes them sound good, maybe you should stick with it for the time being?

when i was using hd650 and denon d7k, the audinst sounded similar to the darkvoice 337. but using LCD-2, there was quite abit of difference. and i think it warrants an upgrade in amp. feel that the amp is quite the limiting factor now.

Jan 18, 2011 at 6:12 AM Post #6 of 12
If your'e on a budget (and I assume your'e from US) you better buy local amps to avoid customs and VAT.
Another idea is going with DIY amps. They pop up from time to time on the fs forums and are extremely valuable.

The user milosz has a thread where he compared 10 amps for the lcd-2, some of them are budget amps.
If you don't have the patience to wait for a sale, try comissioning a build.

Jan 18, 2011 at 6:41 AM Post #8 of 12

Quote:
If your'e on a budget (and I assume your'e from US) you better buy local amps to avoid customs and VAT.
Another idea is going with DIY amps. They pop up from time to time on the fs forums and are extremely valuable.

The user milosz has a thread where he compared 10 amps for the lcd-2, some of them are budget amps.
If you don't have the patience to wait for a sale, try comissioning a build.

could you kindly link me to it?

Jan 18, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #10 of 12
Schiit Asgard is working extremely well for me.

Dec 12, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #12 of 12
Try Audio-GD NFB-10SE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back