Budget Amp for DT880 (new rev)
Apr 11, 2007 at 2:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

maxxy

Head-Fier
Hiya folks,

Im looking to purchase a budget amp (home use) for my DT880 (EMU 0404+FLAC for output). I would really like something that puts out excellent soundstage while giving a less bright/more bassy sound. I would like to keep the budget down to $300 (inc. shipping) (I have access to purchasing in the uk/usa/china) if possible. I have zero experience in amps and in any kind of modding :p

Thanks in advance
lambda.gif

Apr 11, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #2 of 3
After much research around the holidays, I decided on a maxxed-out Portaphile V2^2 ($250) and power it w/a Tekkeon power pack ($75) set to 14V with my DT880's and have no regrets - and I own & have owned many home & portable amps over my 16 months here at Head-Fi. The power pack is not required, but the amp is a battery-eater and I didn't want to power it w/electricity (wall-wart).

I'm not sure if Cesar is still building V2^2's, as they're being phased out of production, but you could e-mail the Portaphile website and ask.

Good luck.

PS - Make sure you do a search on the V2^2 and read all about it's strengths & weaknesses and check out Skylab's review of portable amps before "pulling the trigger".

Apr 12, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #3 of 3
I've been looking and reading around. Anyone have any insight on the Firestone Big Joe Amp for the DT880? What about a Darkvoice amp with which tubes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back