Budget amp for DT770 Pro?
Oct 14, 2009 at 8:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

cdailey

New Head-Fier
I just received the left over money from my pell grant and figured maybe I could put a little bit of it towards a headphone amp. I use Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80ohm straight into my Macbook Pro at the moment. Would my DT770's really benefit from an amp? Are they even worth amping? Will an amp change how they sound, or just make them louder? I am looking to spend around $100.

I don't know if it makes any difference, but I like to listen to a lot of trance, metal/rock, hip hop, and drum n bass. I do listen to a little classical and some softer music, but not much.

Thanks!

Oct 14, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #2 of 4
An amp might be able to help tighten up the bass a bit but overall there's not much if you're just looking to spend 100. It benefits from a better source too. I started with the DT770's and an EMU 0202 with a microshar amp. The combination helped the DT770's but just the amp would not do much. I suggest getting getting a D10 as a portable rig. Other than that, you should just save up for desktop components if you want to improve your sound. It's difficult to get noticeable differences if you spend a little. Unless you're really itching to spend, save your money because sooner or later just spending 100 bucks won't get you any improvements, not even subtle ones.

Oct 15, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #3 of 4
I figured I wouldn't get much for $100, but that's really all I care to spare for audio stuff at the moment unless someone can convince me otherwise. So you suggest a portable solution? Pardon my ignorance, but what's the difference between a portable amp and a desktop amp other than obviously being able to take a portable amp with you? I see that the iBasso D10 is a DAC as well as an amp. Are all DACs also amps? Would it be better to get a DAC + amp combo? What kind of money am I looking at spending to see a noticeable difference with my headphones?

Btw, I just figured I should post in the desktop amp forum since I don't take my 'phones anywhere and only listen at my desk top. My mistake if this should be in a different forum.

Oct 15, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #4 of 4
Try the Firestone FireyeII...It's not a portable amp, but it also has a nice little DAC in it for use out of the computer, it does a good job with my MacBook Pro, and can run off bus power OR a 5V wallwart.

Portable amps are typically much smaller physically and less powerful than a desktop...however in your price range you're pretty much looking at portables, or something the size of a portable (like the FireyeII). That said I really like my Fireye II and it would drive 80 ohm just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back