Budget $50-130 IEM or Earbud, Good Bass, Great Overall Sound
Jan 29, 2014 at 11:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

CannonO

New Head-Fier
So I'm a little afraid of the term Basshead and some people saying potential bass fatigue on some sets. That said, I like a fair amount of bass increase.

I listen to every major genre of music (seriously, all of them), so I like clarity for something like John Mayer or Tom Petty and some serious oomph for maybe a song with the hip-hop or dance bass, but smooth enough for film scores and classical. However, as some fairly bass-heavy pop is probably my most listened to, I want bass, but I'm weary of the bass fatigue mentioned in some headphones, as well as supposed lost clarity or overly sharp treble.

I have read a lot on here and it seems like I might be okay with Monster Turbine, Klipsch S4 or the HiFiMan RE-400. I know people dodge Bose around here, but the IE2 have been praised on design and sound on mainstream sites, and I'm not entirely opposed to the premium that the brand has placed on them. I like the idea of not inserting an IEM, so the interesting earpieces for the IE2 also intrigue me even if insertion isn't a deal breaker.

I've checked a number of reviews and guides though and don't feel like I can be decisive on it yet, especially since a lot of the opinions don't seem up to date. My only other headphones experience is with some open Astro A40 headphones, which are gaming headsets that do their job, but are obviously meant to be a convenient surround experience and not necessarily the best stereo headphones. I looked at this list as well: http://theheadphonelist.com/articles/earphone-buyers-guide/

So what are your up-to-date recommendations on an excellent sounding IEM or earbud with increased bass?

Thanks

Jan 30, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #2 of 4
In addition to the

Monster Turbines
Klipsch S4 II
HiFiMan RE-400

I've also seen the

Monster Gratitude
Monster Diesel
Velodyne Vpulse
Future Sonics Atrio MG7
HiSoundAudio Wooduo 2
UE 600vi
Vsonic VSD1 or VSD1S
Meelectronics A161p
Fischer SBA-03
Klipsch X10
Brainwavz B2

Any of those seem like solid sound quality, good bass?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back