Budget 300b tubes?
Sep 7, 2021 at 8:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

les24preludes

New Head-Fier
Looking for recommendations for lower priced 300b tubes. What I've seen available include:
- Shuguang 300b-98
- Shuguang 300BS-B Globe
- PSVane 300b HiFi
- PSVane Cossor
- EH ceramic base

Has anyone tried any of these, or others, and can do a brief review?

Looking for tubes up to around £200 ($275) per pair.

Sep 9, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #2 of 8
No replies yet, though a budget 300b should be an item of some interest. I've carried on researching and found out a bit more:
- There are cheaper PSVane tubes labelled as Linlai whereas it's not clear that they are the "official" Linlai tubes.
- If it's the solid plate versus "mesh" (or perforated in the case of the 300b-N) a lot of reviews like the mesh.

So my thinking here is to go for the PSVane 300b-N version. All these perforated plates, like TJ for instance, appear to use the same construction.
This looks like a worthwhile upgrade from the Shuguang 300b-98 and PSVane 300b HiFi.

Anyone tried them?

Sep 9, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #3 of 8
Hello,
Here is another set for just under $200. The seller is in Canada.
But they also ship to Europe.
I can't say how they are the 300b because I don't have an amp with 300b tubes.
But I bought them as 6SN7 tubes and they are stunning on the Feliks Euforia.
Workmanship is also very good, nothing negative to report.
Even got praise from the manufacturer who makes my amp.

https://premiumvacuumtubes.com/product/linlai-global-hifi-300b-vacuum-tubes-pair/

Regarding Ps Vane,officially nothing is to be produced anymore,neither under the Linlai.
There is said to have been a falling out.
Linlai is, so to speak, the one part of Ps Vane that is still left or was left or had left.
The story is a bit opaque to unclear what exactly happened where and how.

Sep 10, 2021 at 5:17 AM Post #4 of 8
Looking for recommendations for lower priced 300b tubes. What I've seen available include:
- Shuguang 300b-98
- Shuguang 300BS-B Globe
- PSVane 300b HiFi
- PSVane Cossor
- EH ceramic base

Has anyone tried any of these, or others, and can do a brief review?

Looking for tubes up to around £200 ($275) per pair.
If you can slightly stretch your budget, I would highly recommend considering the Gold Lion 300B tubes. My Eddie Current Studio Jr came with the cheapest Psvane tubes and I felt like I made a mistake jumping into high end tube amps because it really wasn't anything special. Some of this is going off memory so grain of salt, but the overall sound was less dynamic and less 3D and less musical than the GL 300B. May not have been a drastic difference, but enough that I was very satisfied with my amp after that upgrade and haven't looked for an upgrade since.

Sep 15, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #5 of 8
No replies yet, though a budget 300b should be an item of some interest. I've carried on researching and found out a bit more:
- There are cheaper PSVane tubes labelled as Linlai whereas it's not clear that they are the "official" Linlai tubes.
- If it's the solid plate versus "mesh" (or perforated in the case of the 300b-N) a lot of reviews like the mesh.

So my thinking here is to go for the PSVane 300b-N version. All these perforated plates, like TJ for instance, appear to use the same construction.
This looks like a worthwhile upgrade from the Shuguang 300b-98 and PSVane 300b HiFi.

Anyone tried them?
The psvane 300b HiFi came with my Woo amp and it's good. My main tubes are KR300HP and EML 300B both are solid plates. I could live with Psvane if I couldn't afford the others.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #6 of 8
If you audiophools all stop buying these new production 300B tubes, they will all become budget tubes eventually due to lack of demand.:beyersmile:

Can't believe these 300B new production manufacturers selling a light bulb this expensive...LOL :deadhorse:

Given the materials and labor involved, I'd say a $30 - $100 new production 300B tube is within the reasonable range, anything above is robbery.

Personally I'm reluctant to pay for any tube that's priced over $200.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #7 of 8
If you can slightly stretch your budget, I would highly recommend considering the Gold Lion 300B tubes. My Eddie Current Studio Jr came with the cheapest Psvane tubes and I felt like I made a mistake jumping into high end tube amps because it really wasn't anything special. Some of this is going off memory so grain of salt, but the overall sound was less dynamic and less 3D and less musical than the GL 300B. May not have been a drastic difference, but enough that I was very satisfied with my amp after that upgrade and haven't looked for an upgrade since.
Gold Lion 300B is an excellent tube at a great price.

Jun 24, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #8 of 8
Gold Lion 300B is an excellent tube at a great price.
Well, GL used to be $200 a pair, now WE300B replicas by PSVane and LindaI are both over $1000 USD and for $500 more you got US made Rossville WE 300B replica beaters......hum.....all don't make too much sense anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back