budget 30-80€: new cans for guitar practice?
Apr 5, 2016 at 2:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

phobos04

New Head-Fier
Hi head-fi'ers. 
I'm back after a little bit of read-only head-fi navigation :)

The context: I'm starting to study electric guitar, and I don't want to disturb anybody with my extremely poor guitar playing capabilities.
The setup: I already own a Blackstar id core 10 stereo guitar amp, and a vox amplug ac30 is on its way. I'm looking forward to silently placticing with the amplug because it's simpler and quicker to setup for simple or nigtly practice sessions. I own a cheap squier stratocaster (mainly for cleans) and an ibanez grg170dx (mainly for overdrives and distorted sounds).
The cans: I own a pair of sennheiser momentum 1.0 over ear as well as a pair of sennheiser hd25 II. I don't think the momentums are the best monitoring headphones (to be honest I don't really like their sound signature that much, but that's another story), while the HD25's small earcups and high clamping force result uncomfortable for extended usage. NOTE: I wear glasses.
The main purpose for this "new" pair of headphones is guitar practicing mainly through the vox amplug, but sometimes using the blackstar amp.

The alternatives: This GAS (or HeadphoneAS) started because I tought I could build an extremely cheap headphone guitar practicing rig without sacrificing SQ. At first I found the Superlux HD681, which will be 30-40€ new, including a spare set of velour pads.
After a little bit of research, I found these well known over-ear alternatives. They are both used, but apparently in near mint conditions. They come at the same 80€ shipped:
- Akg K240 MKII - they come with spare velour pads (new is 105€)
- Sony Mrv 7506 - no velour pads here (new is 95€)
Unluckily I can't audition any of these headphones at the moment.

The question(s): what shoud I do?
Should I spend 80€ for a new set of "standard" monitoring headphones? Which ones do you suggest?
Should I spend 30€ for the apparently high Q/P ratio of the Superlux?
Should I save money and buy nothing?

I'm open to any suggestion :)
Please keep in mind that my maximum theoretical budget is 80€.
NOTE: While writing this post I'm realizing how small the delta between used and new prices are, so I could stretch the budget a bit and buy new cans if it'll be worth it.

Thanks a lot.

Apr 5, 2016 at 5:05 AM Post #2 of 6
Hey!

In theory any good sounding headphone should do the job, but the sound directly from the amp won't be the greatest regardless, even with good pickups, because most amps have very crappy headphone outs. I'm saying this based on my experience with what I have home and those are a Marshall MG30FX and the Kustom RC30 used with EMG81-85 pickups, which are not the best, but still pretty damn good and clean if set up properly.

Now the main problem with using headphones directly into your amp will be that it will sound very harsh most of the time (especially if you're just learning), so you may want to avoid very analytical headphones.

My suggestions are:
Sony MDR-7560 - They're not very analytical, but try to be sort of flat, however they do lack some bass, but the isolation is quite good and you won't hear the sound of the strings due to that.
Vox Amphone AC30 - You can plug these directly into your guitar and put on various effects since they have a built-in amp
Sony MDR-V6 - Pretty much as old as I am, but still a great studio monitor by many accounts
Beyerdynamic DT 770 - If you can snag this for somewhere around your price range, then it's a good overall headphone, albeit a bit too head-clampy, but that goes away with time... Or with a box on which you put your headphones to stretch them out, whichever works for you.

Apr 5, 2016 at 5:32 AM Post #3 of 6
Thank you :)

but the sound directly from the amp won't be the greatest regardless, even with good pickups, because most amps have very crappy headphone outs

Yes, I'm kind of aware about the poor HP out quality of those amps. I hope the amplug will be a bit better on this.

Quote:

Vox Amphone AC30 - You can plug these directly into your guitar and put on various effects since they have a built-in amp
Sony MDR-V6 - Pretty much as old as I am, but still a great studio monitor by many accounts

When I bought the amplug ac30 I was sadly not aware of the full headphone version. They'll kind of duplicate the amplug itself, so I'm inclined to skip them for the moment. In other circumstances I'd probably have bought them, or maybe the Twin version (that should sound more fender-y) that I can find new for around 100€ shipped.

At least as the mrv-7506s I guess
wink_face.gif
. I've read they are quite similar headphones, and they share many positive impressions. Plus a really quick price search apparently shows the V6s to be more expensive than the 7506. Shoud better investigate to find something within the budget.
Beyerdynamic DT 770 

I was already interested in some beyers at some point, for more general headphone use, but never so much to grab a pair. Which impedence shoud I look for?
Sony MDR-7560

Never heard those HPs. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check if I could find them somewhere, just for the sake of curiosity.

Thanks a lot 
beyersmile.png

Apr 5, 2016 at 5:40 AM Post #4 of 6
Well, the 7506 (sorry for the typo) is more or less the same headphone, but they have more bass. I guess you could call them a slightly improved version? I have no idea why the V6 is more expensive, it shouldn't be. Probably just sellers that don't want to drop their price because they don't want to sell at a loss.

You should probably get the 32Ohm DT770s as they are easiest to drive. I know you're essentially plugging them into an amp, but I don't know how much the amp amps the headphone out. So the 32Ohm would be your safest bet. Maybe the 250Ohm if you know for a fact that the amp can juice them up decently :)

Apr 5, 2016 at 6:55 AM Post #5 of 6
I think I would add the Takstar Pro 80 (also known as Gemini HSR-1000). It is a bit cheaper and has very high SQ for its price point. There is now a 16-ohm version of the DT770, called the DT770i. It is only available at Guitar Center--not sure how shipping would work, but you could inquire. Just a thought,

Apr 5, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #6 of 6
Takstar Pro 80 (also known as Gemini HSR-1000)

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll read about them.
Well, the 7506 (sorry for the typo) is more or less the same headphone

I have never auditioned neither of the sonys, but people are generally appreciating both.
There is now a 16-ohm version of the DT770, called the DT770i

A quick check in Italy was unsuccessful, but I'd like to read some reviews of these, just because I'm curious 
wink_face.gif

Thanks a lot 
dt880smile.png
!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back