Budget ~$1500 for full-size open cans paired to WA7 amp
May 3, 2014 at 3:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Liminal

New Head-Fier
Hi there, 

I'm in the market for a pair of open (preferably), full-size headphones in the $1000-1500 region.

I've been happy with my pair of Sennheiser HD555s and my trusty Woo Audio WA7 amp for about eight months. Originally I was set on a pair of HD800s, but the more research I've done, the more I've started to think they would be too bright and clinical for the kind of sound signature I want. (I've demo'd a pair with my amp & was impressed but I didn't get enough time with them.)

I mostly listen to pop music and some of my most-listened-to artists are Vampire Weekend, M83, John Mayer, Sufjan Stevens, Kanye West, that sort of thing. I listen to lossless audio through my Macbook via USB to my WA7 amp. 

I prefer a more forward, musical sound and I could care less about "monitoring" or hearing the sound as it was recorded. Most of my favourite music is quite over-produced anyway. I am looking for a set of mid- to hi-fi headphones with good resolution and imaging, with a big soundstage and separation between mids and bass. I fear the HD800s would be too bright and fatiguing, and not as "fun", even when paired with the WA7. 

Any recommendations (other than "just get the HD800s")? I am tempted by the LCD-2s for my purposes.

May 3, 2014 at 3:35 AM Post #2 of 18
  Hi there, 

I'm in the market for a pair of open (preferably), full-size headphones in the $1000-1500 region.

I've been happy with my pair of Sennheiser HD555s and my trusty Woo Audio WA7 amp for about eight months. Originally I was set on a pair of HD800s, but the more research I've done, the more I've started to think they would be too bright and clinical for the kind of sound signature I want. (I've demo'd a pair with my amp & was impressed but I didn't get enough time with them.)

I mostly listen to pop music and some of my most-listened-to artists are Vampire Weekend, M83, John Mayer, Sufjan Stevens, Kanye West, that sort of thing. I listen to lossless audio through my Macbook via USB to my WA7 amp. 

I prefer a more forward, musical sound and I could care less about "monitoring" or hearing the sound as it was recorded. Most of my favourite music is quite over-produced anyway. I am looking for a set of mid- to hi-fi headphones with good resolution and imaging, with a big soundstage and separation between mids and bass. I fear the HD800s would be too bright and fatiguing, and not as "fun", even when paired with the WA7. 

Any recommendations (other than "just get the HD800s")? I am tempted by the LCD-2s for my purposes.

According to a summit-fi thread, the LCD-2 is considered in general as the most overrated headphone. I'm just warning you before you spend big money on it. 

May 3, 2014 at 4:32 AM Post #3 of 18
  According to a summit-fi thread, the LCD-2 is considered in general as the most overrated headphone. I'm just warning you before you spend big money on it. 

Rev. 2 is a very good model and not so very expensive used. Why do you think it's over-rated?

May 3, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #4 of 18

Rev. 2 is a very good model and not so very expensive used. Why do you think it's over-rated?

I haven't heard or owned these headphones myself, but the LCD-2 was mentioned alot of times as the most overrated headphone in a summit-fi thread. That would be a red flag to me if I was shopping for new headphones.

May 3, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #5 of 18
It's just cuz some don't like it, they find it bland and boring. That's my impression. Others find it euphonic, seductive etc..

May 3, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #6 of 18
I don't enjoy it (too dark) but I wouldn't say it's over-rated (or over-priced nowadays relative to most other flagships). I don't believe in public opinion: I trust my own ears/brain/soul, always.

May 3, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #7 of 18
I haven't heard the LCD 2, but I have heard the LCD X.  Personally, it is a darker, lusher sound, but it is very peasant and enjoyable.  The best bass I've ever heard.  Coming from headphones that are brighter, it might take a little getting used to, but they have their appeal.

Honestly, my only complaint about the Audezes is that they are heavy.

EDIT: Also, the LCD 2 in bamboo is under 1k which isn't too bad, but if you can get a deal or get a nice pair used, its a actually pretty decently priced imo.

May 3, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #8 of 18
Well, I better mention HE-560 which is said to be pretty neutral but not bright. Else, oppo pm-1 which is said to be pretty dark, perhaps more so than LCD-2.
That's about it in planar world..

May 3, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #9 of 18
Well, I better mention HE-560 which is said to be pretty neutral but not bright. Else, oppo pm-1 which is said to be pretty dark, perhaps more so than LCD-2.
That's about it in planar world..

I haven't been following the new Hifimans as there's too much to read and I hope to hear them soon at ChiUiFi 8 anyway. My sense of PM1 based on the three (!) threads is that it's about as dark as HD650, which is less than LCD2, but more mid-centric than either. That sounds promising and if it weren't for Oppo's trickiness and the annoying fans, I'd be more interested.

May 3, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #10 of 18

I haven't heard or owned these headphones myself, but the LCD-2 was mentioned alot of times as the most overrated headphone in a summit-fi thread. That would be a red flag to me if I was shopping for new headphones.

ATH-M50s are called "overrated" all the time and people still love them. Lower price, I know, but the principle is the same. Whatever is popular gets a lot of hate. Some deserved, some not.

May 4, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #11 of 18
If I were to spend such money (which I might) I'd wait for Hifiman to update their line-up with the new Jade and the HE-6 successor. But you might not even want to go there in the first place..

May 22, 2014 at 5:33 AM Post #12 of 18
Well I ended up getting the HD800s. I couldn't resist the grey market price of AUD$1000. Good value and great cans. They sound particularly great with classical music.

What should be next in my upgrade chain? I am assuming the WA7 power supply... surely not cables? DAC?

May 22, 2014 at 5:51 AM Post #13 of 18
A fine choice, though I'd have recommended a better all-rounder that is more forgiving due to your music taste and better possibilities for developing your taste in music.

May 22, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #14 of 18
A fine choice, though I'd have recommended a better all-rounder that is more forgiving due to your music taste and better possibilities for developing your taste in music.

Now that I've had a taste for hi-fi cans, I am thinking of springing for the flagship Fostex 'phones. Or maybe the LCD-X, but they may be similar enough to the Sennheisers. 

May 22, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #15 of 18

Now that I've had a taste for hi-fi cans, I am thinking of springing for the flagship Fostex 'phones. Or maybe the LCD-X, but they may be similar enough to the Sennheisers. 

In your place I'd likely have gotten the he560 from the beginning. But that's me..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back