Budget (~$100) IEM's for techno & gym?
Jul 20, 2006 at 6:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

NewSc2

500+ Head-Fier
Okay I know the "recommend me headphones for gym" question gets asked pretty often, but a search couldn't find the issues that I've had with my headphones.

First off, I've never owned an IEM, but I've considered some for on-stage monitoring. I'm not rich enough, yet, to own a $500+ custom IEM, though.

Anyways, I wanted a recommendation for a good bassy IEM that isn't easily broken and that I can run with, etc. I've gone through about 4 iPod headphones, and sometimes free weights just rip the cord around so they've all broken. I've also gone through a KSC-35, but stopped using it when the earpiece kept coming out.

Right now I'm using my Grado SR-60's for the gym, and while they sound great, they're a bit too big and the cord is too long and chunky, and the pads get really sweaty after time. Just looking to purchase something about $100 and there are quite a few options out there now... back when I was frequenting Head-Fi the only IEMs were the Ety 4 series.

Jul 20, 2006 at 6:43 AM Post #2 of 10
Westone UM1's, maybe?

Jul 20, 2006 at 7:20 AM Post #3 of 10
Funny, during my searches for items, I never post a "what's right for me" thread unless there was nothing before!

Gracious.

Bassy? I've heard of the UE Super.fi EBs are extremely bassy. UM1s are very comfortable.

Research for crying out loud.
redface.gif

Jul 20, 2006 at 7:29 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by JazzyMac
Funny, during my searches for items, I never post a "what's right for me" thread unless there was nothing before!

*shrug* you and I are different then. I've spent months researching here before purchasing most of my headphones, and I'm busier nowadays than I was 4 years ago when I first joined these forums.

edit: thank you for the suggestions.. i guess i gotta research the difference between EBs, Pros, and e4c's, etc.

Also, pardon my rant, but I realize it even more now.. when you're researching a headphone, like the UE 5Pros, you'll run into threads saying one thing and the other.

In one thread, somebody says it sounds great, in another, they say that KSC75's beat them roundly... so then onto the Shure e4c's, and people complain of their lack of punch and all midrange (i need bass for my tracks). Then onto Ety's, but then they're not good for running... agh

Jul 20, 2006 at 8:11 AM Post #5 of 10
Of course, you've got to expect those same comments (likely from the same people) to show up again, right?

Jul 20, 2006 at 8:19 AM Post #6 of 10
I guess with all the threads, for the most part there is a common consensus, and then you have to use your own sound judgement for anything else.

For instance, with E2C, most would agree that it's bigger than normal IEMs. However, some like it and some don't.

With UE.fiEB, most agree that's it's bassy. Some like, some don't.

When I research, I read everything, look for the common agreements among the members, then make my own decision, not post a "I've done all this research, but what's right for me?" thread.

Oh well, it's 4am, I've got a 7am flight and I've spent the last 4 hours typing a research paper.

Forgive me if I sound touchy.

Jul 20, 2006 at 4:12 PM Post #7 of 10
Hi NewSc2,

For gym, I think Shure is a good choice. The reason is the cable design and the famous Shure durability. Get the highest model of Shure you can afford. Run the wire behind your head and into your clothes so it doesn't get ripped out.

I have heard many stories of super.fis and their tendency to fall out in the gym, and then crack. Too bad though, you'd be really happy with the bass in those.

Westone UM-1, or better yet, UM-2 (more bass) would be nice too. You can run the cable behind your neck. But for durability, Shure is the best. I don't like recommending Shure all the time... but for your criteria I think it is a good choice.

Jul 20, 2006 at 10:12 PM Post #8 of 10
thanks for the suggestions Honda!

I've been doing my research and I like the Shure design and all, but when everybody says their headphones are all midrange I'm still hesitant.

I listen to a lot of Underworld, Richie Hawtin (minimalist techno), Jeff Mills, Tool, and a lot of my own tracks, and most of their stuff is all bass and TR909 (electronic drums). Well, not Tool, but the others... so there's a lot of voices in the bass and the treble portions, and not so much so the midrange.

Of course the music itself is usually bass-reinforced (live mixes, overemphasis on bass, etc.) so perhaps that would help out the EQ.

I'd say I reasoned out my choices between the Shure E4c, Ety ER4P, and Westone UM1. I'd like to go with the UM2 but the Shure and Ety go on ebay for around $160-200, and the UM2 is $300.

Reasonably speaking all I wanted were something better than the iPod earbuds, but after going back to the HD580's and the SR60's I know my audiophile side is coming out again =(

Jul 21, 2006 at 6:00 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by NewSc2
I've been doing my research and I like the Shure design and all, but when everybody says their headphones are all midrange I'm still hesitant.

I feel that way about Shures in general too. They are very mid-range oriented. Shures are not my first choice if sound quality was all that matters. E4c is the one that sounds best though, to me at least. The highs are there, and they produce bass when they are called upon to.

The bass issue is a tough one. For people that are not used to single-armature IEMs, none of them seem to produce satisfying bass. But when you are accustomed to them and know what to expect, and your ears adjust to them, you can probably hear a decent amount of bass in them. Also I found that for much the music in my collection that is not of bass-oriented styles, the bass is rather thin through single-armature IEMs, although the bass sounds fuller when heard through dynamic earphones/headphones, speakers, etc. But in much of my R&B and other bass-oriented tracks, the bass comes through quite satisfactorily in all of my single-armature IEMs, assuming they are properly seated in my ears for at least 5 minutes or more and the volume is not too low. It also depends on the source too, obviously. And if you are not used to single-armature IEMs yet, you need to know that the bass is there, you just need to get use to the fact that you can only hear the bass, but you can't feel it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back