Budged sound card for HD 558
Oct 2, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #31 of 38

Yeah I probably won't be getting the Sabertooth. How much do you usually spend on the motherboard? I think replacing any electronics like that is a real pain. I once had to ship back a xBox 360 because it had broken and they tested it and everything and decided they needed to send me a new one back. So they said they sent me a new one back and when I got the package they had sent me the broken one I had sent them. Anyways after verifying the serial numbers they realized it was the same one so I had to send it back to them yet another time so they could send me a new one. 

I perfer AMD (It's cheaper)
My current motherboard is a Gigabyte 970FX UD3, it's the cheapest board ($105) with the better voltage regulation (8+2), but I think something happen to it, have to unplug power cable sometimes to get it to boot, so keeping an eye out for a 990FX on sale.

Keep on eye on the website Techbargin, lists a lot of electronic stuff that is on sale.

Oct 2, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #32 of 38
Yes. You get what you pay for with a Lexus, but that doesn't mean you need one.
wink.gif

I didn't realize it had a five year warranty. But it's a mistake to say that the most expensive boards are necessarily more stable and reliable. Not true for normal use. I've never experienced board failures other than one DOA, so 3 year and 5 year is all the same to me. You'll find out eventually that past an initial burn-in period, a lot of electronics--motherboards, sound cards, much audio equipment--tend to last for a good many years without a problem unless a flawed design, poor ventilation/cooling of the electronics, or really cheap components. Most PC manufacturers do not use high end boards (and often cheap ones), and the their mid-tier models are typically very reliable in terms of motherboards. Unless you happened to buy from Dell during 2003-2005
wink.gif

No it doesn't. But if you can afford one who's to stop you from buying it? :wink: 
True I shouldn't have said more stable or reliable that is incorrect as like I said I'm sure most motherboards that are at a cheaper price point are really reliable and do there job well. But the more expensive boards do have more features than the cheaper ones have. Which is why I would like to get an upper mid tier range board because I want some of the features it has. 

Oct 2, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #33 of 38
My current build is an amd too. Thought I would go with a intel this time around. I think that's about what I paid for my motherboard as well but it's a asus. I have never heard of that website I'll have to check it out.

Oct 2, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #34 of 38
No it doesn't. But if you can afford one who's to stop you from buying it? :wink: 
True I shouldn't have said more stable or reliable that is incorrect as like I said I'm sure most motherboards that are at a cheaper price point are really reliable and do there job well. But the more expensive boards do have more features than the cheaper ones have. Which is why I would like to get an upper mid tier range board because I want some of the features it has. 

Today's high end board in feature set is next year's mid tier board, and the following year's budget board (I am exaggerating a little in how fast this happens). I don't go for the high end boards (the asus z87 sabertooth is a high end board, not mid tier) nor highest end CPUs because I'm typically on a 2 to 3 year upgrade cycle. I can go mid level (same price range as Purple Angel described) and afford more frequent upgrades instead of feeling like I have to hold onto a piece of equipment longer, and I don't need the latest greatest features. No rush. They'll be available at mid tier next time I upgrade :wink:

Oct 2, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #35 of 38
I perfer AMD (It's cheaper)
My current motherboard is a Gigabyte 970FX UD3, it's the cheapest board ($105) with the better voltage regulation (8+2), but I think something happen to it, have to unplug power cable sometimes to get it to boot, so keeping an eye out for a 990FX on sale.

That's not good. :frowning2:

Have you verified it's not a PSU related problem?

Oct 2, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #36 of 38
That's not good.
frown.gif

Have you verified it's not a PSU related problem?

I thought it was a power supply problem, so replacing the power supply was the first thing I did.
Did not make a difference, but at least now I have a spare power supply
blink.gif

Oct 2, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #37 of 38
Today's high end board in feature set is next year's mid tier board, and the following year's budget board (I am exaggerating a little in how fast this happens). I don't go for the high end boards (the asus z87 sabertooth is a high end board, not mid tier) nor highest end CPUs because I'm typically on a 2 to 3 year upgrade cycle. I can go mid level (same price range as Purple Angel described) and afford more frequent upgrades instead of feeling like I have to hold onto a piece of equipment longer, and I don't need the latest greatest features. No rush. They'll be available at mid tier next time I upgrade
wink.gif

Yes I agree it is a high end board. I just used the sabertooth as an example though and was only going to consider getting one if I heard good things about the onboard sound on that board being equivalent to a <$50 sound card. Which I didn't so I wont be getting one. I'm on a 4-5 year upgrade cycle because of other money obligations that don't afford me the luxury to upgrade so often at this time. Don't want my computer to be completely dated after 2 years like last time I built it.  

Oct 2, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #38 of 38
I thought it was a power supply problem, so replacing the power supply was the first thing I did.
Did not make a difference, but at least now I have a spare power supply:blink:

Yeah. Sorry. PSU would have been easier to deal with. No fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back