BUDA impedance and output spec
Sep 15, 2010 at 9:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Jalo

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi Gorge or Travis:

I've been looking for impedance spec for my BUDA and I don't think it is included on your web under BUDA spec section. I would like to know for balance and SE output, what is the impedance and power output on the BUDA , it will help me to decide how to match the kind of headphone I am interested in. Or you can direct me to find the info. I use the DPS with the BUDA. thank you.

Oct 19, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #2 of 17
Hi Jalo,

HeadRoom BUDA Specs:

Input impedance at 1kHz = 50K

Output impedance at 1kHz = 0.5~0.6 Ohms

Maximum Power Output = approx 19V rms

Frequency Response = 10Hz ~ 50,000kHz (+/- 0.3dB)
THD at 1V Output = <0.002%

Cheers,
jorge
HR Sales & Service Manager

Oct 20, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #3 of 17
Thanks Jorge, I continue to enjoy the BUDA.  It's is a great amp especially paired with the UDAC.  My HD800 and LCD2 both sounded awesome.  I really don't think I can improve too much on the SQ.  It is about 99% of what I expect real sound to be. 

Mar 16, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

HeadRoom BUDA Specs:

Input impedance at 1kHz = 50K

Output impedance at 1kHz = 0.5~0.6 Ohms

Maximum Power Output = approx 19V rms

Frequency Response = 10Hz ~ 50,000kHz (+/- 0.3dB)
THD at 1V Output = <0.002%

Sorry to revive an old thread but I had a follow-up question on the Maximum power output.
That 19V rms seems way too high, or is that 19V p-p?
Also, is that 19V single-ended or balanced?

Mar 29, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #6 of 17

Quote:
Sorry to revive an old thread but I had a follow-up question on the Maximum power output.
That 19V rms seems way too high, or is that 19V p-p?
Also, is that 19V single-ended or balanced?

Hi USAudio,

The HeadRoom BUDA [Balanced Ultra Desktop Amp] output spec is rated 19v in true balanced mode... Hope that helps!

jorge
HR Operations Manager

Mar 30, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #8 of 17
Hi USAudio,

i will confirm with our original audio engineer for this topology design Joe W. asap, but our listed specs show BUDA max output rated rms

:)

Cheers,

jorge
HR Operations Manager

Mar 31, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #9 of 17
If that is indeed 19v RMS, that would mean BUDA puts out 11 watts RMS balanced into 32 Ohms and almost 3 watts RMS single-ended ???  
There are many new high-power amps coming out to drive the orthodynamics, have you guys tried BUDA with the orthos like the HE-6 and LCD-2?
Assuming the above numbers are correct, it seems like BUDA should drive them with authority as well.  
If so, IMHO you guys should really be advertising that by putting those specs on your website and promoting that BUDA is a good option for driving orthos!

Apr 1, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #10 of 17
Hi USAudio,

The BUDA max output spec is actually 10v rms in single-ended mode. My apologies for the confusion, i was looking at our HeadRoom Desktop Balanced Amp w/DAC specs [19v] from a few yrs ago; that design
was officially discontinued by us in early 2009 due to low sales. 
frown.gif

We have indeed used the BUDA unit with all the new planar magnetic "orthodynamic" headphones with fabulous audio results; the 'high gain' setting on the Desktop Amp drives any of those power-hungry cans effortlessly
with rich tonal detail and deep transparency -- especially when in true balanced mode!

Cheers,

jorge
HR Ops

Apr 1, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #11 of 17
Hi Jorge,
No apology necessary, just trying to clarify the specs, thanks for the info! 
Please consider posting more detailed BUDA technicial specifications on your website since they are very good.  Output power, output impedance, headphone impedance range, gain, etc. would be useful.

Still, 10v RMS Single Ended (3+ Watts RMS into 32 Ohms) is nothing to sneeze at.  Amps targeted at orthos is a hot category right now, you should toot your BUDA horn in that arena!

Follow up questions:
So at 10v RMS, and given the fully balanced design of the BUDA, can I correctly assume we're talking 40v RMS BALANCED???
What about those other specifications given earlier such as Output impedance, FR, THD, etc.  Were they for the older unit as well or did they apply to the current BUDA?

Apr 4, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #12 of 17
Hey USAudio,

Thanks for the kind reply!

The other BUDA specs have been 100% confirmed by our HR audio engineer / topology designer for the unit -- with one exception:
The actual BUDA input impedance at 1kHz is 70k Ohms (not 50k Ohms)
evil_smiley.gif

Here's another confirmed BUDA spec not listed in this thread:

Max Input Level at 1kHz = 3v

We do indeed plan to do a big HeadRoom Marketing push for the BUDA with planar-magnetic cans... Please stay tuned!

Cheers,
jorge
HR Operations Manager

Apr 4, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:
Hey USAudio,

Thanks for the kind reply!

The other BUDA specs have been 100% confirmed by our HR audio engineer / topology designer for the unit -- with one exception:
The actual BUDA input impedance at 1kHz is 70k Ohms (not 50k Ohms)
evil_smiley.gif

Here's another confirmed BUDA spec not listed in this thread:

We do indeed plan to do a big HeadRoom Marketing push for the BUDA with planar-magnetic cans... Please stay tuned!

Cheers,
jorge
HR Operations Manager

So to summarize the BUDA specifications:

Input impedance at 1kHz = 70K Ohms
Output impedance at 1kHz = 0.5 ~ 0.6 Ohms
Maximum Power Output = 10V RMS, Single-Ended
Frequency Response = 10Hz - 50,000kHz (+/- 0.3dB)
THD at 1V Output = < 0.002%

Nice numbers.  But no matter how nicely I ask, you're not going to give me the Balanced Maximum output power figure, are you ... ?!? 
confused.gif

Looking forward to the BUDA Marketing push and perhaps ... a SALE on BUDAs?!?!  =)

Feb 5, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #15 of 17
I am able to drive the HE-500 on the medium gain setting in fully balanced mode including balanced headphone cables.  To me the amp has no issues driving the headphone, but the amp does reveal how neutral sounding the HE-500 can become when properly amped.  I still prefer the Denon AH-D2000 with the BUDA.  I run it single ended and am always impressed at how awesome the sound quality is.  The control on the low end is much better than the Grace Design m903 I use as a DAC which is one of the reasons I picked up the BUDA.  Going balanced gives a few benefits and having more power is one of them.

I have not tried it with a full balanced pair of LCD-3 headphones yet, but plan to soon.  I personally do not like the looks and feel of the LCD products primarily due to weight and ergonomics, but the last set of LCD-2 Rev 2 and LCD-3 headphones I tried sounded awesome from the Grace so I imagine the BUDA will only improve the sound.

Update to come

Users who are viewing this thread

Back