BT signal health risks, has anyone experiencing same things with BT TWS?
Dec 19, 2021 at 3:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

concordus

Head-Fier
Was wondering if I am the only one experiencing discomfort with BT earphones.

I have tried quite few of them (lot's JBLs TWS and headphones, Jabra TWS and headphones, Sony TWS and headphones) and especially TWS with BT 5 or higher are hurting my ears after not big listening sessions.

Same with on ear headphones but only on side where wireless transmitters are placed.

Nothing like that with wired headphones and smaller effect with older versions of BT (like 4).

Anyone else experiencing same things? I am now quite sensitive to that and basically am staying away from wireless headphones. Not sure would that be the same with dedicated 2.4Ghz transmitters like gaming headsets (will have to test as well).

Seems to me that this might be due to wireless transmission of signals, because it is only with wireless that I get pain in ears.

Am I the only one? Anyone else experiencing same things?

Dec 19, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #2 of 4
It could be Electromagnetic Field hypersensitivity. The older you get, the more sensitive you are with these. Reading this site says that symptoms can skin related and more pronounced symptoms are also noted

Dec 19, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #4 of 4
I appreciate you have discomfort and whilst I don’t want to minimise the pain and wish you a speedy recovery, I do as someone who has engineered 2.4Ghz radios in a past life, want to add some colour based what you said above:

The headphones are receivers of Bluetooth not transmitters except for Jabra as in (1)below. It is normally transmitters that we are concerned with as that is where the RFI energy is coming from. Receivers do not amplify or provide any energy increase compared to just being there without a headphone on.

1. Sony TWS and Jabra TWS have different radio architectures. Jabra‘s using different radios between the Left and Right sides with one side transmitting and the other receiving though not using 2.4Ghz in addition to Bluetooth receive whereas most Sonys use two channels of Bluetooth receive only.

2. Bluetooth transmission for music doesn‘t change between 4 and 5. It still uses the Bluetooth Classic radio which hasn’t changed in many years.

3. Bluetooth 5 introduced a new radio protocol which on the headphones that you mentioned are perhaps only used for Sony and Jabra (don’t know the others as I don’t own them) by the apps and this is typically only turned on when the app is connected.

4. There are many stronger 2.4Ghz transmitters around the house like Wireless LAN(Wi-Fi),microwaves or US cordless Phones.Do you get similar discomfort when holding a mobile phone with Bluetooth/WiFI on to your ear?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back