Bryston BP-26 and Grado RS-1
May 28, 2007 at 8:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ex0du5

500+ Head-Fier
Well I should be getting an RS-1 soon, but I won't have the money to amp it.

My dad however, has a Simaudio Moon Eclipse as source, and a Bryston BP-26 Pre-amp (for use in a loudspeaker setup). This preamp also has a built in headphone section. I was wondering how the RS-1 would sound out of the BP-26. Anyone try it?

May 28, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #2 of 5
Not too sure about the Grado, depends on their impedance, but you may find some info here http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/i...?topic=28762.0
and there are some other threads there as well.
I drive HD580 with Bryston and its working fine.
One thing to remember when driving headphones off the preamp is that you need to have the volume at app. 10-13.00 on the knop, so DO NOT pull the headphone plug out before you have lowered the volume (if the power amp is on that is), you will get a loud surprise...

May 29, 2007 at 12:30 AM Post #3 of 5
That thread refers to Head-fi! Circular dude!

I own a BP-25 and run Sennheiser HD-650 without issue. (Actually sounds freaking great!) My Grado SR-80's also perform well. Think of it as a class-A headphone amp!

But, Bryston stuff is very neutral and quite revealing of upstream flaws.

Note that I power my pre-amp via a PS-Audio P500; re-generated AC makes a huge difference.

Here's what Chris Russel at Bryston told James Tanner (VP, Bryston) regarding driving headphones with the BP preamps (http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?topic=28762.msg256891#msg256891):

Quote:

Hi James;

The headphone output is in fact the same feed as the output to the amplifier, and is nominally around 1-2V. This is to prevent ear damage from excessive loudness levels. It is designed to require the volume control to be advanced quite a bit to give loud levels. This also eliminates an amplifier stage, which reduces noise and distortion on the headphone feed.

I hope this is helpful information. Thanks for thinking of Bryston.

Chris Russell
Bryston Ltd.

May 29, 2007 at 2:50 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks a lot for the reply. I won't think twice about purchasing the RS-1 now
biggrin.gif
. If my dad keeps the Bryston, I might not bother with the MAD Purist HD, though I am mighty tempted to get it still.

Oh and, would you think the Bryston would be able to compete with a decent SS headphone amp?

May 29, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #5 of 5
ingwe;2992186 said:
That thread refers to Head-fi! Circular dude!

QUOTE]

Was that to me ? didnt get it then....
Anyway, the Bryston is extremely transparent as a headphone amp yes. I just got my HD580 so I am getting used to the Bryston as the source, and it makes me wonder if I need my planned upgrade, a Graham Slee Solo...., just dont know.
I have ordered the HD650 cable, will start with that.
PowerPlant ? Interesting, never tried it....

exOdu5, if you see the link you will see a remark regarding the Bryston and the Meier Corda...and I guess you with an SS amp will get more power for your phones, and a little better quality. You also get the advantage that you can have the stereo on vey low volume by its own, and turn the volume a bit up in your headphones.
I got used to this when I had my Stax Signature II system....I sold it because I thought I wouldnt have so much money in a system I rarely used, and now I am about to make the same mistake again, go figure !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back