Bryston BHA headphone amp performance as a two source preamp Vs dedicated bryston pre.
Mar 6, 2013 at 6:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

FormosaWest

New Head-Fier
Im looking for some thoughts from those of you who are experienced with bryston's  headphone amp as a pre amp, stereo speaker systems, and dedicated bryston preamps. Does anyone own both the bryston 26 pre and the bha?

Im building a bryston system, my first serious stereo system. Very excited and proud to be a canadian! For the foundation of my system, i decided to chose brystons headphone amp Instead of buying a bryston preamp like the 26. i bought the heahone amp because i only plan to play two sources: phono, and digital via my bda1 dac.

There were several reasons why (on paper) the bha looked better than a dedicated pre for me.  I assumed that the bryston headphone amp would be superior for headphones than the bryston preamps. As a renter headphones make a good portion of my listening... Also it had the basic features i needed for a preamp without the expense of extra features.  nice and simple.

But a question remains... what about the BHAs performance as a preamp? How well does it perform as a preamp driving bryston power amps and speakers compared to their dedicated preamp? Does it add or take away anything obvious or is it as fantastic as a two source preamp as it is as a head amp? 
does the headphone gain selector affect the pre-out level? Though i plan to one day own b/w 800 series or upper tier kefs one day, and prefer simple components with uncompromised performance.

How does it sound and perform as a preamp compared to the dedicated pre?

Wish it had a by-passable cross-feed feature and classic vu meter tied to pre out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back