Bryston BDA-1 DAC.
Sep 15, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #3 of 12
I was following this DAC for a while now. The store link that you provided didn't respond on my requests and I think they don't have it in stock.

If you read the official thread (link below), you will see that they so busy with preorders that they can't even give one for the review. Which is odd to me?
Anyway the BDA-1 looks good and I hope it will perform really well, but I would wait for the solid test results and review from prof. guys like Stereofile.

BDA-1 -- News?

Sep 15, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #4 of 12
I was paying attn to this DAC a while ago, but I could not find much about it yet. Maybe in a few months people will start writing about it? I also find it odd that not much has been written about it. The Bryston CD player has a true following in some forums, but I haven't heard it myself yet. Not surprisingly on the net opinions on the player vary from giant killer, to overtly harsh and bright. So will see...

Sep 15, 2008 at 12:37 PM Post #6 of 12
I looked around a little and Audio Advisor is shipping them but I am not sure what their backlog is. The manufacturer said their lead time is about 10 days.

I'm going to wait and see what happens when someone runs some testing on it.

Sep 15, 2008 at 1:11 PM Post #7 of 12
Seems pricey to me. And I wish comprehensive jitter measurements would be shown instead of a stock bare meaningless number. Especially for a Dac supposedly high end.

There will be tons of these floating around. Anybody interested should wait for them to start showing up pristine on Audiogon. I bet they will be posted for sale there almost as often as the Benchmark.

Sep 15, 2008 at 1:42 PM Post #8 of 12
It has one thing certainly right: enough inputs! I don't understand some dacs that only have one to three inputs, each of different type. That kind of machines are cool, you can actually plug in about everything you could possible have. PC, CDP, DVD player, digital TV receiver and still some open slots!

Apr 21, 2009 at 1:43 PM Post #11 of 12
I auditioned the Alpha DAC about a month ago and would have gladly parted with its purchase price of $5000, but I thought I owed it to myself to take a listen to the Bryston BDA-1. My first impression was not good but after about a week of constant break-in the BDA-1 has become my DAC of choice. I didn't do a side by side with the Alpha but my opinion is the Bryston is every bit as good as the Alpha and I saved $3000 in the process. Money was not the issue, if I would have preferred the Alpha DAC I would have purchased it because in the back of my mind I would have always felt like I was missing something. I have the Simaudio I-7 integrated driving a pair of Merlin VSM-MMe's using a Windows XP based PC with a Lynx AES16 sound card to provide the digital bit stream to both DACs. You can’t go wrong with either DAC.

If I wasn't using an integrated amp I would have wished for a volume control.

Dec 7, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #12 of 12
I recently purchased a BDA-1 and I am really happy with it. It replaced my old Mark Levinson 36S DAC and the BDA-1 is better than the 36S in every way IMO. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back