Bryston BCD-1
Aug 19, 2009 at 6:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

seacard

1000+ Head-Fier
Has anybody heard this CD player? I'm a huge Bryston fan; their amps are as good as anything else out there.

How about this CD player? How does it measure up against the big boys (Esoteric, Krell, Wadia, dCs, etc.)?

Aug 21, 2009 at 9:11 AM Post #2 of 9
I listened with it at home for a weekend. It is a fine player, but I could discern no material differences between it and my Simaudio CD1, which is a less expensive player. And my computer rig sounds better thatn both. I think that unless you spend a really large amount of cash on a CD player, there are only subtle differences amongst all well built and engineered player.

Aug 21, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by auee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listened with it at home for a weekend. It is a fine player, but I could discern no material differences between it and my Simaudio CD1, which is a less expensive player. And my computer rig sounds better thatn both. I think that unless you spend a really large amount of cash on a CD player, there are only subtle differences amongst all well built and engineered player.

Undoubtedly that's true, but I'm trying to figure out whether even spending a large amount of cash really gets you anywhere. Would a $20,000 Esoteric / Emm/ dCs setup sound any different? And if so, why? I keep hearing about jitter, but the Bryston's jitter is below the level of human hearing.

Aug 21, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by seacard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Undoubtedly that's true, but I'm trying to figure out whether even spending a large amount of cash really gets you anywhere. Would a $20,000 Esoteric / Emm/ dCs setup sound any different? And if so, why? I keep hearing about jitter, but the Bryston's jitter is below the level of human hearing.

My belief is that the effects of jitter are overrated. I am currently looking for CDP or CD transport + DAC and to be honest, I have no clue what jitter sounds like. I do know that DAC implementations, DAC chips themselves and output stages make difference. What comes to jitter, it is just one component in the list of many. Good CDP sounds good, prolly better with great DAC. poor cdp can be used as transport with a great DAC, if you are willing to stand the deficiencies of low end CDPs. like poor mechanisms, poor outlook, etc.

Aug 23, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

The Bryston's low jitter measurements is part of what makes it one of several quality CDPs along with those made by Naim, SimAudio, Ayre, Cary, Esoteric, Marantz, etc.

In some instances, some very expensive digital products produce magnificent sound. I had the pleasure of listening to a system that had top of the Wadia digital products, the transport and dual mono DACs, played via Jeff Rowland amplification and Ariel speakers. The music it made was jaw dropping as a result of resolution, dynamics and tonality. Of course, the cost of the system was also jaw dropping.

Aug 23, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by auee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Bryston's low jitter measurements is part of what makes it one of several quality CDPs along with those made by Naim, SimAudio, Ayre, Cary, Esoteric, Marantz, etc.

In some instances, some very expensive digital products produce magnificent sound. I had the pleasure of listening to a system that had top of the Wadia digital products, the transport and dual mono DACs, played via Jeff Rowland amplification and Ariel speakers. The music it made was jaw dropping as a result of resolution, dynamics and tonality. Of course, the cost of the system was also jaw dropping.

Well, the Ariel 20T is one of the top speakers ever made, so I am going to go out on a limb and guess that whatmade your jaw drop was the Ariel. What I think would be much more interesting is whether it would sound much different to you out of nice but inexpensive Rega, Denon, Cambridge, etc. player.

Aug 24, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Well, the Ariel 20T is one of the top speakers ever made, so I am going to go out on a limb and guess that whatmade your jaw drop was the Ariel. What I think would be much more interesting is whether it would sound much different to you out of nice but inexpensive Rega, Denon, Cambridge, etc. player.

Good point, but I am not going to ask my friend to disconnect his system so that I can insert my SimAudio and/or Naim CD player. I just enjoy listening to his system, but with no envy. I will never have the space, funds or inclination to assemble such a powerhouse of a system. I greatly enjoy my modest scale system, but certainly appreciate what his has to offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back