Broken tube already with my first pair of Shure
Dec 24, 2010 at 6:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

L-upin

New Head-Fier
I purchase a pair of SE425 just today, but when I change the tips, the right side foam piece appear to glued to the tube, in result the tube snapped off. ( I didn't even force it at all, I removed the left side with no problem). This is my first purchase with shure and I didn't expect something that cost me almost 400 dollars can be this fragile. I currently own westone um2, etymotic er-4p and UE super.fi 5 pro, but I have never experienced something like this. I am very shock right now as I have only received it today. I even remove the foam from the tip and I cant even get the tube out! As I said, this is the first time dealing with shure, how is their customer service? Will Shure be able to repair for me and will they charge me? If not, then I might have to turn it into custom mold :frowning2:

Dec 24, 2010 at 7:04 AM Post #2 of 8
That sucks! I remember when I got my 530s and tried to take the tips off it was so hard to do I thought maybe they weren't supposed to come off!  Hopefully they can replace them..

If they can read this: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/414662/se530-tips-stuck-freeze-them

It's relevant to 425's, I'm sure.

Good luck, for real...

Dec 24, 2010 at 12:02 PM Post #3 of 8

Quote:
That sucks! I remember when I got my 530s and tried to take the tips off it was so hard to do I thought maybe they weren't supposed to come off!  Hopefully they can replace them..

If they can read this: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/414662/se530-tips-stuck-freeze-them

It's relevant to 425's, I'm sure.

Good luck, for real...

Thanks

Email already send, but since it's limited warranty and after reading your post. I don't think I will have much luck...
Custom mold or super glue seems to be my only two options
frown.gif

Dec 24, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #4 of 8
Holy crap.

Another reminder to be extra gentle with my 425 when I am changing their tips... those Shure olives are sure a pain to remove.
blink.gif

... maybe you could remold it if Shure refuses to replace your earphones. I sure hope they do though.

Dec 24, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #5 of 8
Same thing happened with my SE530s after using them for 9 months , 3 years ago, plus a broken cable, that's why I've never bought anything from Shure ever again, apart from their microphones.

Dec 25, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
Holy crap.

Another reminder to be extra gentle with my 425 when I am changing their tips... those Shure olives are sure a pain to remove.
blink.gif

... maybe you could remold it if Shure refuses to replace your earphones. I sure hope they do though.

If they are going to charge me for the replacement or repair, I might as well pay more to remould it. Thank god I read there's a few good custom remould company around. Even if they are going to repair /replace it, I'm afraid it won't last very long until I have to send them back for repair again. The material used feels really cheap, especially the plastic used in the tube, it's so thin.

Best of luck with your pair tho.

Quote:
Same thing happened with my SE530s after using them for 9 months , 3 years ago, plus a broken cable, that's why I've never bought anything from Shure ever again, apart from their microphones.

I wish I got the Westone 3 instead. I never experienced something like this with other iem before. I guess no more Shure for me...

Dec 25, 2010 at 4:17 AM Post #7 of 8
The EXACT same thing happened to me on my first day of owning my 425s!!
Almost happened a couple times when I had my 530s. Even with the freezer tip getting the olives off can be such
A pain!
I sent mine back to shure promptly the next day after they broke and got them fixed under warranty so you should be ok! It is their fault
For such a ridiculous design, I have never encountered such a problem on any other iem...

Dec 25, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #8 of 8
I did read about someone's Westone 3s' sound tube snapping off in one of these forums so I guess it can happen to other makes too, although it is quite rare in comparison. It's kind of strange how Shure's IEMs are so fragile while their SM57/58 microphones are so notorious as being well-built and rugged. They can easily survive a 10 foot drop and still work without a problem. 
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back