Broken socket on my hd650
Jan 1, 2008 at 5:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

n4k33n

100+ Head-Fier
I've had my hd650s for a few months and haven't been as careful with them as I should have been. The other day I unplugged the right and left cable plugs from the cans to take a photo of them (Link).

I must have ripped them out too fast, or at an angle, or something because when I plugged them back in they didnt "click in". They just pushed in. At first they worked but I would intermetently lose the right channel. I tried unplugging the cables again (this time gently) and then plugging them back in. No dice, I can't hear anything from the right channel this time.

To be sure it was the female socket on the cans, and not the plugs on the cable, I tried using a friends hd650 cable. No dice, the right channel is gone.

I'm still somewhat of a diy novice, but I need to learn in a hurry if I want to save my hd650s. I can't see any damage with the naked eye just looking at the sockets, so its difficult to troubleshoot what area is specifically damaged. Would it probably be a broken solder joint?

Does anyone have any experience or advice for me to perform a new years miracle? Oh, and its my birthday. If I don't get them fixed, every year hence forth will be marred by the memory of the death of my sennheisers. I'm too young to live with that kind of grief. Please help.

Jan 2, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #2 of 4
try switching the plugs around.
left plug to right socket (where there is no sound)
if there is sound then its your plug.
if there is NO sound. then its the jack.
thats where sennheiser comes in.

Jan 2, 2008 at 5:00 AM Post #3 of 4
Most problably that you damaged the spring inside the socket, that is an easy fix, there is a thread around for that if you do a search with tons of pictures, but giving a call to SennUSA will not harm anyway...

Jan 2, 2008 at 7:04 AM Post #4 of 4
If they're like my sennheiser 580's, the plugs need to be pressed in pretty far to click. I had been getting an intermittent connection too. Otherwise, if you're careful, you can pry the cover off the side and look at the driver itself to see if the springs are fine. The connections in my 580 look pretty solid, I don't think I'd be able to jar them loose by pulling the cable out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back