Broken Social Scene.
Nov 22, 2005 at 7:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

ricardo diaz

500+ Head-Fier
I don't like them very much.

I have tried and tried to get into them, yet I can't seem to love them like those scenesters out there. Maybe it's not meant to be, but the only song I like by them in "Anthem For A Seventeen-Year-Old Girl". "I'm Still Your Fag"? "Lover's Spit"?

Gross.

I can see how "I'm Still Your Fag" is supposed to be funny, but when a song involves piss-drinking, it's no longer funny. Nor is any song about spit, because spit is just ultimately disgusting to me, even more so than puke, poop, blood, etc.

Are there any songs out there by Broken Social Scene that would make me reconsider liking them?

Nov 23, 2005 at 12:53 AM Post #2 of 15
Dunno, I don't think this band is an "all or nothing" proposition because I enjoy them a lot but they aren't high on my list of favorites or anything (despite the mention of them in my sig).

If you don't get it, no sweat. Their new album *may* be harder to digest than You Forgot it in People.

Nov 23, 2005 at 1:05 AM Post #3 of 15
"Anthem" is a classic (and it features vocals by Emily Haines, frontwoman of Metric, so clearly a favorite of time). Have you tried their new album? Or their b-sides disc "Bee Hives?"

I find their music very enjoyable in a chill capacity. If I'm just relaxing and wanting something nice and ambient, Broken Social Scene is a good choice.

Nov 23, 2005 at 1:40 AM Post #4 of 15
Its puzzling to me when people try really hard to like something. There was a similar post in a Mars Volta thread where someone couldn't get into them and he seemed really frustrated by it. I'm not knocking anyone, I just don't get this.

Edit: And now there's a Dream Theater thread with a similar situation.

Nov 23, 2005 at 1:43 AM Post #5 of 15
What about "Almost Crimes"? You might like that one.

It took me a while to really get into them. The pretentious song titles took some time to get past. There is something really great under there, though. Keep giving it a chance.

Nov 23, 2005 at 5:48 PM Post #7 of 15
I initially bought their newest disc, the self-titled "Broken Social Scene," [some are referring to it as "Windsurfing Nation," I believe...] and I really like it. I especially like the track 'hotel." Then I bought "Forgot It In People," [because of an interesting review by a friend of mine that shall remain unnamed...you know who you are!] and I liked it even more than the new release. I most recently purchased "Feel Good Lost" [their debut] and "Bee Hives." I like every track on Bee Hives. [remixes and B-Sides] However, "Feel Good Lost" is most definitely my favorite Broken Social Scene effort. It appears that the further back you go with Broken Social Scene the more the Godspeed You Black Emperor roots show. [or like the post above says the "chill factor" increases...] "Feel Good Lost" is virtually instrumental. "Windsurfing Nation" is more of a mainstream-sounding release with vocals galore. Don't misunderstand me I think that their new album is a great listen. [though on other music sites I have noted some dissatisfaction from established Broken Social Scene fans...] I, like many others apparently, seem to have a preference for their older work. Ricardo, if you really want to give Broken Social Scene another try give "Feel Good Lost" a listen. It is in HEAVY rotation at my house and in my car the last week or so, and I like it more with each listen. I am currently listening to the new Depeche Mode disc "playing the angel." Now this IMHO is a disappointing album!
icon10.gif

[Davey..."nevermind"
confused.gif
I would like to read your 2 cents on this topic!...]

Nov 23, 2005 at 5:54 PM Post #8 of 15
Broken Social Scene is pretty 'experimental', and not very accessible if not for their (i think) great hooks and melodies. i think the three tracks in the middle of the album: Looks Just Like the Sun, Pacific Theme, and Anthems for a Seventeen Year Old Girl are just my favourite three tracks of all thier albums.

its just so mellow and 'chill'.

my fav discs in order:
YFIP > Feel Good Lost > Broken Social Scene/Windsurfing Nation

their new disc is just too 'busy' for me. too many things going on at the same time, not as 'mellow'

Nov 23, 2005 at 8:21 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb
[Davey..."nevermind"
confused.gif
I would like to read your 2 cents on this topic!...]

My 2 cents was that it didn't really seem like a serious question to me since ricardo has referred to people a few times as "scenesters" for professing to like music that he doesn't "get". And in some cases the implication seems to be that we can't think for ourselves and only listen to something like Broken Social Scene because we wanna be part of that musical "scene". Which is kind of silly for many of us older people that don't really travel in any of those crowds
wink.gif

But I realized that I might be wrong about his motive, and scenester may not be intended as an insult. So I deleted my 2 cent response. "Lover's Spit" is just such a great song, though. Hard to believe the thought of kissing someone could be so disgusting
wink.gif

Nov 23, 2005 at 9:31 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey
in some cases the implication seems to be that we can't think for ourselves and only listen to something like Broken Social Scene because we wanna be part of that musical "scene". Which is kind of silly for many of us older people that don't really travel in any of those crowds
wink.gif

But I realized that I might be wrong about his motive, and scenester may not be intended as an insult. So I deleted my 2 cent response. "Lover's Spit" is just such a great song, though. Hard to believe the thought of kissing someone could be so disgusting
wink.gif

Gottcha! I thought that the original post was a bit subjective/judgmental/trashy for this forum when such topics are discussed. I just felt a need to defend broken social scene because I have been so into them lately...to each his own...
rolleyes.gif

Jan 30, 2006 at 7:54 PM Post #11 of 15
For the scenesters
tongue.gif
Broken Social Scene is scheduled to perform on Late Night with Conan O'Brien tomorrow night 1/31, which is technically 2/1, but you get the deal.

Any guesses as to which song they will play? I know "7/4 (Shoreline)" is sort of the single, so that's a good bet. Leslie Feist is unlikely to join them as she is currently on tour at the moment. But Emily Haines might be since there is a break in tour dates for Metric.

Feb 1, 2006 at 10:52 AM Post #12 of 15
Well, I was right about the song selection, but wrong about Leslie Feist's absence. She was there, which was strange considering she had a Feist tour date in Iowa tonight. But good thing she showed since she basically sings lead on Shoreline.

Feb 1, 2006 at 4:37 PM Post #13 of 15
"Scenester" isn't meant as an insult, rather a silly name for people into BSS because I just can't appreciate the music as much as them.

So, I'm basically jealous, in my own little way. Sorry if the original post seemed too "subjective/judgmental/trashy", I didn't intend on it to come across that way.

Now, if I call you a HIPSTER. Then take all the offense in the world! :p

Feb 1, 2006 at 11:34 PM Post #14 of 15
If you don't like the band, why are you stressing yourself out trying to get into them? Doing that, or pretending to like them, would make you a poser, which is the antithesis of what the entire indie music scene is about.

btw, a scenester is a generally deragatory term.

Feb 2, 2006 at 1:27 AM Post #15 of 15
I happen to like them, if you dont then why bother? sure its true that some music grows on you but you have to like it to begin with!

if broken social scene isnt your thing try Arcade Fire, they're simmilar. I like Broken social scene a little bit more but both are decent artists IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back