Broken SE530s....Shure offers SE535s as replacements. Opinions?
Mar 3, 2014 at 11:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Cannikin

100+ Head-Fier
In a nutshell:
My much-loved Shure SE530s have finally developed "damaged cable syndrome" where the cables loops over my ears. I was expecting this at some point, and now I have to deal with the problem. Shure has responded to my inquiry about cable repair to say that they no longer fix the cable; instead, they have offered to replace the SE530s with the SE535s for a fee (about half the cost of new ones). From what I've read about the SE535s, I'm very uncertain about their suitability (for MY tastes) as a replacement IEM. I gather that they are brighter than the SE530s, and I'm not certain I want that.

I'm sure there are many of you who have experience with both models....what is your opinion? Do I spend the $$$ to swap for the 535s? I can afford it, but I don't like spending a fair bit of money to acquire technology that isn't going to suit my personal tastes in music listening. I know that's a hard thing to ask other people to assess, but I do hope some of you can offer your opinions on the two models and their virtues/weaknesses.

Thank you.

Mar 3, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #2 of 12
If you like what you have and don't think you'd like the new one, simply have it recabled.

Mar 3, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #3 of 12
If you like what you have and don't think you'd like the new one, simply have it recabled.

Shure doesn't offer that service and I don't know who does. Feel free to point me to someone who offers a repair service, and if possible, let me know what that is likely to cost.

I'm willing to do the swap as offered by Shure, which is why I created this thread: I want to know if I should take a chance on the SE535s or not. I am asking for opinions on that matter, thanks.

Mar 3, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #4 of 12
Mar 4, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #5 of 12
Don't swap because you like what you have and don't know what you're getting.

This guy Brian (http://btg-audio.webs.com/) has a good rep. I don't know if he does IEMs.

Zach at ZMF (http://www.zmfheadphones.com/) recables Sony IEMs. Ask him too.

Thank you. I'll look into these two options.

Meanwhile, can no-one offer me their assessment of the SE535s as a replacement option for my older SE530s??

Mar 4, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #6 of 12
Mar 4, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #7 of 12
Actually, what is it that you do not like about the sound in the SE530? Let those guys in the SE535 thread know about what you like and dislike about the SE530 will go a long way in providing assistance. 

From what i gather, the SE535 LTD has better highs, making it brighter in comparison to the SE535. There are two different versions of the SE535, just so you are aware. And i'm quite sure BTG-audio does IEMs. I recall vaguely that he helped someone recable a GR07.

Mar 4, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #8 of 12
  Actually, what is it that you do not like about the sound in the SE530? Let those guys in the SE535 thread know about what you like and dislike about the SE530 will go a long way in providing assistance. 

From what i gather, the SE535 LTD has better highs, making it brighter in comparison to the SE535. There are two different versions of the SE535, just so you are aware. And i'm quite sure BTG-audio does IEMs. I recall vaguely that he helped someone recable a GR07.

I didn't say I don't like my SE530s, I said I like them a lot and don't want to deviate from the qualities I like, hence why I asked how the SE535s compare.

I looked at the BTG site and the headline on the site states: "Due to an insane school regimen I have been unable to take on new orders." etc, etc. That says pretty clearly that he's too busy and  there is little point in making an inquiry, since he doesn't have time for new jobs. Thanks, though.

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #9 of 12
You can ask custom IEM manufacturers how much a reshell would cost. Just a fair warning - ask in the SE530 thread who did a good job at that, most importantly, which company did a great job at getting the dimensions of the bore based on your favorite eartips right. I've heard of one where the bore dimensions differed from the original, plus the owner added more drivers, and the sound was not simply different, but the owner didn't really like the changes. I think there were other cases of similar drastic changes (and not always improvements) with other universal IEMs that were reshelled, all because they didn't want to gamble on a fully custom IEM whose sound they have not heard, but such results totally go against this objective. Basically, the shape of the bore of the CIEM from the drivers to the outer lip has to be the same length as your favorite tips, and the bore of course the same as on the universal shell.

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #10 of 12
  You can ask custom IEM manufacturers how much a reshell would cost. Just a fair warning - ask in the SE530 thread who did a good job at that, most importantly, which company did a great job at getting the dimensions of the bore based on your favorite eartips right. I've heard of one where the bore dimensions differed from the original, plus the owner added more drivers, and the sound was not simply different, but the owner didn't really like the changes. I think there were other cases of similar drastic changes (and not always improvements) with other universal IEMs that were reshelled, all because they didn't want to gamble on a fully custom IEM whose sound they have not heard, but such results totally go against this objective. Basically, the shape of the bore of the CIEM from the drivers to the outer lip has to be the same length as your favorite tips, and the bore of course the same as on the universal shell.

That is an intriguing option, and thanks for that suggestion. However, I cannot imagine that costing LESS than what Shure charges to replace my 530s with the 535s ($240).

Mar 4, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #11 of 12

That is an intriguing option, and thanks for that suggestion. However, I cannot imagine that costing LESS than what Shure charges to replace my 530s with the 535s ($240).

Definitely not
biggrin.gif
But still makes more sense than some $400 cable upgrades for the SE535.

EDIT: Just found this site off one of the threads here and apparently it can be cheaper.

Mar 4, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #12 of 12
  I looked at the BTG site and the headline on the site states: "Due to an insane school regimen I have been unable to take on new orders." etc, etc. That says pretty clearly that he's too busy and  there is little point in making an inquiry, since he doesn't have time for new jobs. Thanks, though.

Have you asked Zach at ZMF?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back