Broken Record - DAMN DAMN DAMN (and eek)
Jun 16, 2009 at 8:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

zowie

Headphoneus Supremus
One of my long time favorite records, Richard Tauber singing Vienna, City of Dreams on a Parlophone 78, is cracked!

I can't remember when I last played it. So it could be it's one more of several shellac records that were damaged by movers dropping a box of them my last move. But what I really think is that I did it myself right before I played it by tightening the knurled hold-down thingy on my VPI vac. I wasn't even drinking that night.

I think that's the first broken record since 1980 when a bookend slid out of place and the flopping over records it had been holding up knocked an adjacent bowling trophy off the shelf and onto an original copy of Sgt. Pepper spinning below. Through some miracle it didn't break the turntable. I hope I'll be good for another 30 years now. In fact, I hope nothing fells me all that time.

Jun 17, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #2 of 2
yes. 78s are so fragile, I've often damaged them by making the mistake of going to the pub after record shopping and being careless with my record bag. Any impact even through padding can crack them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back