broken Qables Silvercab LOD for the iPhone
Jul 27, 2008 at 1:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

user1029

Head-Fier
I've only used this LOD for 2 months and now there is no sound in my right earphone. I have already ruled out the Predator and the UE11 as the culprit. Is there any way to repair this LOD? Thanks

Jul 27, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #2 of 13
First, try the iPhone with another dock or docking iPod speaker to make sure your iPhone is ok. Try one of those iPod speaker systems at the Apple Store, Target, Walmart, Best Buy, etc.

Sometimes, the pins on the LOD flatten out, resulting in poor contact with the iPod. You may be able to pry it up.

Take a look at the pins on the LOD. Looking at the LOD from the point of view of the iPhone, you will see 4 pins on the Right (numbered from Right to Left - Pins 1,2,3 & 4) and Pin 11 nearer the midline.

Pin 3 is the Right channel and Pin 4 is the Left channel. Check to see if Pin 3 is okay. You can also check for continuity with a multimeter. On the 3.5 mm miniplug, the tip should map to Pin 4, the Ring to Pin 3.

Otherwise, I'm sure Hans at Qables would be more than happy to check it out.

Jul 27, 2008 at 4:57 AM Post #3 of 13
Did it get flexed or crimped accidentally? Silver is tricky that way. And surprisingly unforgiving.

Jul 27, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #4 of 13
thanks for the responses guys! My portable rig has never suffered any trauma but it never occurred to me how delicate silver cables are
frown.gif

I just want to add one more observation of my dilemma: If I plug the Qables LOD halfway into my Predator input socket, I get sound in both my right and left earphone (sounds like crap though). If I plug the LOD completely in, then I only hear from the left earphone. Argh

Jul 27, 2008 at 5:24 AM Post #5 of 13
When plugging it "halfway" in, you may be hearing just one channel as one conductor of the plug may be touch both the left and right contacts on the Predator jack.

Jul 28, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #6 of 13
Hi there, sorry this happened!

There is a full year warranty on the cable. Just return it (I send you and email with the details) and I will check and repair/replace it for free.

Rgds Hans

Aug 15, 2008 at 1:32 PM Post #8 of 13
Hans is sending me a Silvercab PRO cable to replace my Silvercab! Great customer service!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 5, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by user1029 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hans is sending me a Silvercab PRO cable to replace my Silvercab! Great customer service!!
smily_headphones1.gif

that's really great service =] i was actually kinda peeved by the high price, but if that's the kinda support i'm gonna get, i might actually gun for it!

Sep 17, 2008 at 11:53 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by lewislink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So it's best not to use silver cables since they are so delicate? If so, what would be recommended as an LOD for the iPhone that would provide the best sound but durability as well?

That would be a too general statement and as such incorrect.
Silver is softer then copper yes, but hence also more flexible. It could be argued from different point of views which is stronger or more durable.

The general believe is that pure silver is less stronger then copper.

What matters more in cable then the fact silver or copper is whether the cable is solid core or very fine stranded (also sometimes called litze).
Litze is much more stronger then solid core.

Unfortunately solid core often gives a better sound then litze core(this is also very much personal opinion!).

Concluded can be: that cables of copper litze (the major part of all cables are copper litze) are indeed stronger and more durable then solid core silver cables.

Do a search because there are multiple threads were the difference and benefits etc about the different cables are discussed.

Rgds Hans.

Sep 17, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #12 of 13
Strand size in solid core can be a limiting factor because the thicker the solid core is, the more likely it is not to have any "give" and could either break or snap off of the internal pins as the pins in those docks are pretty darn tiny pieces of stamped out metal.

I really do wish that someone would come up with a nicer, more druable dock connector with some serious re-enforcement on those pins. Polycarbonite? It would be nice for the connector piece and you could easily tell when the pins get mashed.

Another issue to look after with the Dock cables has to do with getting moisture traped by the dock connector because it can literally erode the pins on the newest generation of iPods. They seem to have gotten cheaper with the dock port and are not using as good of pins and not coating them nearly as throughly as before. I had a 5G for two years and NEVER had an issue with that. Recently got a replacement iPod because the pins had eroded away from being used quite a bit.

Thought that my cable had messed up - then tried another and it had the same problem which is how it pointed out the issue, but most people don't have a bunch of that kind of stuff around.

Sep 29, 2008 at 8:15 AM Post #13 of 13
My NE20 dons't fix Goldcab, it is 1/4 out there when i listening, the sound will dispear while i moving, that's very vexed
but Qable Cable is very delicated, the sound as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back