Broken plug on my ESW9s
Dec 1, 2009 at 8:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

TehNomad

Head-Fier
I was listening to my ESW9s a couple of months ago and I stood up and yanked the plug while it was still connected to my computer. Ever since I've had to wiggle it into place into any jack to get sound out of both channels. Right now, it's gotten to a point where I can't get get both channels working by wiggling it around.

I know that a simple recable or retermination will fix this, but I don't have a soldering iron (I'm at college). I was wondering if there was a simpler fix or another option. Otherwise, how much will a retermination cost?

Dec 2, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by TehNomad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was wondering if there was a simpler fix or another option. Otherwise, how much will a retermination cost?

the only simple fix I can think of is to try and get a hold of Audio Technica to see if the warranty will cover it. If the damage is not visible, I wouldn't mention the story about yanking it out.

That of course would mean some time spent waiting for your headphones to come back and sometimes that can take a while depending on who they've outsourced to take care of warranty work.

Otherwise you can head to radioshack and buy a soldering iron, some solder, and pick up a plug and get to work. It's not going to cost you an arm and a leg to do. I'm guessing around 25 bucks.

Dec 2, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by roker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the only simple fix I can think of is to try and get a hold of Audio Technica to see if the warranty will cover it. If the damage is not visible, I wouldn't mention the story about yanking it out.

That of course would mean some time spent waiting for your headphones to come back and sometimes that can take a while depending on who they've outsourced to take care of warranty work.

Otherwise you can head to radioshack and buy a soldering iron, some solder, and pick up a plug and get to work. It's not going to cost you an arm and a leg to do. I'm guessing around 25 bucks.

it'd be better to get not get an RS iron

If you're in "the city" then I am sure there are better places to get irons, and solder.
You'll also need something to strip wires. a knife works in a pinch

daleproaudio sells neutrik plugs with free shipping.

Max $25.
If you got things from dealextreme you could do it for $10...
You could also spend about... $100 and get much better equipment and ensure entry into the DIY audio world.

Dec 2, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by nullstring /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it'd be better to get not get an RS iron

If you're in "the city" then I am sure there are better places to get irons, and solder.
You'll also need something to strip wires. a knife works in a pinch

daleproaudio sells neutrik plugs with free shipping.

Max $25.
If you got things from dealextreme you could do it for $10...
You could also spend about... $100 and get much better equipment and ensure entry into the DIY audio world.

I was just trying to budget it for him. I forgot about stripping the wires and such.

I have no idea where to go to in the city to buy stuff like that.

Dec 2, 2009 at 12:00 PM Post #7 of 8
I'm not in NYC if that's what you mean by "the city". I go to school in Ann Arbor, MI and my hometown is in Boston.

Is it possible to screw up the retermination so badly that it makes your headphones useless? That's mostly what I'm afraid of.

I think my dad might have a soldering iron and a wire stripper, so I think I'll try to fix them when I go home for break.

Dec 2, 2009 at 12:04 PM Post #8 of 8
if you're recabling them, then you can fry the headphone coil (I think?)

But it's not practical for the heat to travel all the way up the cable and fry the coil.

You should be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back