Broken grado cable - help needed
Feb 5, 2005 at 1:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Vargtass

100+ Head-Fier
Hello.

I just realised i have an old pair of Grado sr 80 lying around. The cable is very unstable, poor contact and the plug gives noises when slightly moved.

Any advice? I have no knowledge whatsoever in this field.
Or would any of you skilled headfiers be interested in making me one
A 4 or 5 ft. with a decent mini plug would be ideal for use with my ipod.

Suggestions are much appreciated.

Have a nice weekend,
Vargtass

Feb 5, 2005 at 1:54 AM Post #3 of 7
They've been lying around for 4 years with the broken cable, i think.
no guarantee. Perhaps i'll better send them a mail and hear what they would suggest. Thanks for the response.

vargtass

Feb 5, 2005 at 2:20 AM Post #4 of 7
Btw. noticed from your signature that you have a pair of ms2's and ety 4 s.

Actually my friend is thinking of buying either ms2 or ety 4s. What do you think is the best buy? He's listens mostly to chamber music, (contemporary) classical, folk, various indie rock, noise, drone and other experimental stuff. Pretty much everything except metal, trance, hiphop and bigband jazz. He finds his Sr 80's to be unbalanced and to coloured by bass when amped.
Also he's looking for details and wider soundstage along with the smoothness his sr 80's + miniamp gives. I'm thinking perhaps something like stax 001 without rolled off highs and a tiny bit less passive sound. Would ety 4 s with a super mini moy or (insert name of ~100$ amp with slightly dark and warm sound) do the trick?

Vargtass

Feb 5, 2005 at 3:01 PM Post #6 of 7
i love both my ms2's and my er-4's

i like the ms2's becuase they are less analytical and have nice bass and pair up well with the music that im listining to

the er-4's are portable, i would never dream of taking my ms2's around, the crispness of the music from the er-4's is also a fun change sometimes

i love both phones but they have different uses for me, portable vs home listining

Feb 5, 2005 at 4:13 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by braincuttermd
Have you thought about sending them to headphile.com for recabling? Larry'll put on some gourmet cables...I'm thinking about sending my Grado to him one of these days.

How much does Larry's cables change the sound?
and what do they sound like?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back