Broken Etymotics / iM716 questions
Oct 31, 2006 at 6:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

lbholde

Head-Fier
I broke the cord on my ER-6is. Etymotic says that's not covered under warranty, and they want to charge me $76 plus $6 shipping (US) to replace them. I need to decide whether to replace them or to buy iM716's instead. A quick search turned up iM716s for $102 - $110 plus shipping. I have a few questions.

I will be using the iM716s exclusively with a Cowon Iaudio G3 mp3 player. Will this be sufficient to drive them without an amp? Will they be as loud as the ER-6is were?

I bought a bunch of filters, foamies and flanges for my Er-6is. Will they work on the iM716s? I'd hate to lose that "investment."

What are the iM716's most comparable to in the Etymotic line? Is the sound from the im716s much better than the ER-6is?

Thanks.

Oct 31, 2006 at 6:57 PM Post #2 of 5
Ok, some searching revealed the answers to questions 2 (tips are interchangable but probably not filters) and 3 (they are most comparable to ER4P). But question 1 is still up in the air. Some seem to say the iM716s need amped, others don't. Thoughts?

My searching also generated a 4th question: what is the name of the Amazon.com supplier who sometimes sells the iM716s in the $60-$70 range?

Oct 31, 2006 at 7:29 PM Post #3 of 5
I have both the er6i's and the IM716's. As you suspected, the tips are interchangeable, but the filters aren't. The volume required for the 716's to be similar to the er6i's is about 20% greater for the 716's (using an Ipod). This is sufficient for me to run them unamped. If you have to have your volume at the 80%+ level on your er6i's, you may need an amp for the 716's.
I was one of the lucky ones that got the 716's for $62, but they have not come anywhere close to that price range recently.
I have definitely found the sound on the 716's to be a step up from the er6i's, but I still love my 6i's, especially for their comfort.

Oct 31, 2006 at 8:56 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for your reply Cakbar. I only listen at about the 60% volume level on my player, so it sounds like I won't need an amp. That's great news. But you bring up the question of comfort. Are you saying the er-6i is more comfortable? In what way? Even if you use the Ety tips on the iM716?

I have another question for you: I read that the iM716's clip is only a pocket clip and will not work well on a T-shirt. Is that true? Do you think it's possible to put the Ety clip on the iM716 cord? Thanks again!

Oct 31, 2006 at 9:52 PM Post #5 of 5
IMO the er6i is definitely more comfortable because of the size and weight of them. When I wear them, I sometimes forget they are in my ear. The 716's are heavier and bulkier and because of this I am much more aware they are there. The tips used doesn't matter as I use the same tips on both sets.
The clip on the volume control on the 716's is pretty useless, but you can use the ety clip (or a cellphone clip)if you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back