Broken Emu1212m?
Jan 20, 2006 at 7:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

JJ15k

500+ Head-Fier
Hello,
I just got a new amp today and I wanted to try it with the computer as source. However I noticed an important channel imbalance. Turns out the analog out of my emu1212m is a mess, the right channel is of normal loudness but distorted and the left is normal but very quiet. The card was working perfectly yesterday....
I noted that spdif out works OK.
Does anybody have an idea what might cause this?Can an amp do this?
Is the creative support for their cards good?

Jan 20, 2006 at 9:17 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ15k
Hello,
I just got a new amp today and I wanted to try it with the computer as source. However I noticed an important channel imbalance. Turns out the analog out of my emu1212m is a mess, the right channel is of normal loudness but distorted and the left is normal but very quiet. The card was working perfectly yesterday....
I noted that spdif out works OK.
Does anybody have an idea what might cause this?Can an amp do this?
Is the creative support for their cards good?

Hey, this is a weird issue that the E-MU cards sometime experience, I've had it happen before.

To rectifiy, go to your start menu, programs, creative professional, emu patchmix dsp, and choose restore defaults.

Reboot, also, open up patchmix, check the balance knob on the bottom right, if its in the middle, play with it, move it all the way to each side, then back to the middle. Its simply a weird thing in patch mix, your hardware is fine.

Jan 21, 2006 at 9:23 PM Post #7 of 10
I had had the exact same problem reoccuring for a whille; at times I felt like the problem dissapeared, and then all of sudden it would reappear
frown.gif
Upon careful inspection, I realized the culprit was a few capacitors hanging loose with broken soldering joints. Quick resoldering job did the trick, and now the card seems to be humming along happily ever after.

My card was modded though. Calling EMU sounds like the best bet if your card is new and unmodded.

Jan 21, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ15k
Was it on the card itself or the IO daughter card? I inspected the daughter card and there was no loose component, maybe I should check the other one.

It was the digital (or the main) card that gets inserted in a PCI slot.
Testing with channels plugin in foobar convinced me that the problem was real, and hence the efforts to address it
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 21, 2006 at 10:34 PM Post #10 of 10
I rechecked everything, no sign of physical damage to the card.
I do find it strange that it stopped functionning when I used it with the new amp (which had a faulty input tube), does anybody have had a similar experience?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back