Broken Earphone Help
May 25, 2009 at 7:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

daveyostrow

1000+ Head-Fier
I recommended the VSonic RS2-Pro to a friend and needless to say he started to mod it; striped off the annoying rubber grip portion that sticks out (then taped around the housing with white tape to smooth out the ends). He recently wanted to clean out the inside (which i cannot understand why), so by opening the housing something went wrong and the left driver broke.

He asked me to fix it but i just dont know.
here is a pic:
ImageShack - Image Hosting :: dsc00038h.jpg

The red and green connectors are still connected, hopefully someone could tell me something,
Thanks.

May 25, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #4 of 6
The voice coil (that little copper wire circle) in the middle of the plastic diaphragm has been broken when the diaphragm separated from the driver. The wire is too small, impossible to re-attach. Toast.

May 25, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #5 of 6
thought i was in the wrong area, where should i have gone too?
i was afraid of that. was trying to hold the wire against the driver but no luck, how can you tell the wire is too short and why cant one extend it?

shame. thanks a lot guys, wont waste much more time with it.

May 25, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #6 of 6
D.I.Y. Forum

The driver is basically a miniature full range dynamic speaker. The link below shows how voice coil wires get an electrical charge.

HowStuffWorks "How Speakers Work"

The wire is so thin that you have a good chance of breaking it just trying to pull on it. If you try to solder it, you will melt it. If you unwind it successfully from the voice coil and re-attach it (you're a better man than I am, Gunga Din) you will have completely changed the impedance (due to less windings on the coil) and thus the sound of the driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back