Broken DT880 - possible to upgrade with DT1990 drivers?
Nov 7, 2018 at 5:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

kominak

New Head-Fier
Hello guys,
yesterday one of the drivers in my DT880/600ohm premium cans went defect after 6 years of daily use (confirmed with a multimeter, it's not the cable).
I found a suitable spare part at beyer website, costing 50EUR. By chance I also found out it's possible to buy a pair of DT1990/Amiron drivers costing only 90 EUR more, and they look very similar. That got me thinking - is it possible to use DT1990 drivers in DT880 housing? Worth the effort? I'm using AMB y2 as my DAC, if that matters....

Many thanks for any advice!
Martin

Dec 9, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #2 of 7
I took a chance and bought the DT1990 250Ohm drivers... They have the exact same dimensions as DT880 drivers, so are drop-in replacement, the only issue is you have to solder the cable onto the 3-pin connector of the DT1990 drivers. The upgrade was definitely worth the $90 difference, in my opinion - with Tesla drivers you clearly get higher definition headphones, it was very easy to hear, when I replaced only one of the drivers.

Dec 9, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #3 of 7
Wow so you actually did it? So you put both 1990 drivers in now, right? Need more detailed comparisons! This is quite interesting.

Dec 9, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #4 of 7
I took a chance and bought the DT1990 250Ohm drivers... They have the exact same dimensions as DT880 drivers, so are drop-in replacement, the only issue is you have to solder the cable onto the 3-pin connector of the DT1990 drivers. The upgrade was definitely worth the $90 difference, in my opinion - with Tesla drivers you clearly get higher definition headphones, it was very easy to hear, when I replaced only one of the drivers.

Genius - I doff my cap to you Sir.

tenor.gif

Dec 10, 2018 at 3:02 AM Post #5 of 7
Wow so you actually did it? So you put both 1990 drivers in now, right? Need more detailed comparisons! This is quite interesting.
Well, the comparison is of course purely subjective, but the differences were quite obvious. I never understood, when someone described one headphone as having "more of everything" compared to other, but I feel this description applies well to DT1990 vs DT880. 1990 drivers have more bass, but it's more defined an doesn't overpower mids/highs in any way. With 1990 it's easier to read bass lines and notice finer details in midrange/highs at the same time - the resolution is higher.
To be even more subjective:
I loved my 880s, but sometimes I felt, that everything sounded good on them, like they had a very thin "beauty veil" on them. For example differences between different DACs were sometimes not that noticeable, although I was able to notice them on my cheaper Sony MDR7506s. Now I feel that veil is gone and both beauty and ugly things are more visible...

Genius - I doff my cap to you Sir.
pure luck, more likely :blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back