Broken Denon D2000s! :( anyone else had this?
Apr 4, 2010 at 6:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

NervousE

New Head-Fier
I've owned my Denon AHD2000s for three months now. Two days ago I was sitting listening to them, one cup felt strange on my ear. I took them off, and the right hand ear cup fell off!! I am gutted, had hoped it was just the screw loose but the rivet/hinge pin that holds the cup to the frame has snapped somewhere deep inside the pin, unsurprisingly as it is a very thin piece of metal, and does not appear to be stainless steel, and the cup is relatively heavy...
I understand this is a common fault? They're my pride and joy, and I'm very very careful with them, I only have them on the table or on my head, haven't been anywhere else since I took them out the box.
I have all the original packaging and receipts etc, and Denon have advised me to return them to the retailer, so that denon can collect them from there. I assume they want to repair them and then send them back? Is this standard practice do you think I will be able to get a replacement pair immediately? I really need my phones and don't want them sitting with denon for 4 months or how long it takes to fix them! I'm grateful for any advice or tales of similar misfortune, just feel a bit anxious regarding my lovely cans! Eep.

Apr 4, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #2 of 21
It's happened before.
frown.gif

Apr 4, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #3 of 21
I remember there was a rash of similar problems when they first came out...I thought the issue had been resolved. Any chance your unit is a new old stock that's been sitting in a warehouse somewhere?

Apr 4, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #4 of 21
blimey
i hope the 7000's are better made.

Apr 5, 2010 at 8:09 AM Post #5 of 21
Hmmm not sure if they are new old stock... Guess the retailer won't be telling me either! the box was pristine when I picked it up tho... ah well, I just wondered if they'd be replaced or sent back for repair! I can't really live without them!!

Apr 5, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #6 of 21
That's a manufacturers defect, Denon should replace them under warranty.

Apr 6, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #7 of 21
I have just returned from my retailer, and they offered refund or new pair (providing in stock) which relieves me greatly... If they don't have any in stock I may upgrade to a pair of Grado 325is... I heard they go well with rock and metal, although I do love the denons too. Thanks to all for your input!
beyersmile.png

Apr 6, 2010 at 10:58 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by NervousE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have just returned from my retailer, and they offered refund or new pair (providing in stock) which relieves me greatly... If they don't have any in stock I may upgrade to a pair of Grado 325is... I heard they go well with rock and metal, although I do love the denons too. Thanks to all for your input!
beyersmile.png

Be very careful about the Grado 325is. I have one. You gotta know what you are getting in to if you get one for metal. It is a completely opposite sound from the Denon. The Denon is big sound, strong bass, overall a smooth and forgiving sound. The 325is is in your face, aggressive, driving midrange straight into your ears, not forgiving, can be harsh and temperamental.

I love the 325is for what it does. But it does not to everything and is unforgiving on what it doesn't like. It's a headphone that very much prefers good recordings to poor recordings.

A SR225i might be better suited if you want to go the Grado route for metal.

I would prefer the D2000 though for most metal.

Apr 6, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #9 of 21
This makes me worry now. Thanks.
Hopefully others don't end up the same, but good luck!

Would you report how successful this was once you get them repaired or replaced?

Apr 6, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #10 of 21
I own a D2000 myself, I'm also interested in the time it takes to get these repaired. I hope this doesn't happen to me.
I've never heard Grados but I hear they are almost unbeatable for rock and metal. At least from what I've read I agree with Ham, the grados should be more aggressive "in your face" cans than the D2000's which are "laid back" so it really comes down to what style of listening you prefer. It would be pretty nice to have both. I would imagine they would complement each other nicely. Good luck!

May 10, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #12 of 21
Hello again!  Part I'm talking about is as I'm sure you've discovered, the ENTIRE cup...  Well, I have an update.  After just over 4 weeks of waiting, I went to pick up my repaired Denons.  I picked up the box instore, and thank god I returned them in the original packaging.  The original box has a nice window in the front, so you can see the admittedly pretty cans within.  It also allows you to see any potential damage to the phones!  I didn't even get out of the shop before I noticed one of the cups looked odd.  On closer inspection, the back of the cup was just hanging off!
    I told the guy in the shop so we both opened up the box and took out the cans.  The back of one cup was indeed not attached.  At first we thought some forgetful techie at Denons service centre had just forgotten to do up the screws.  We tightened them up instore and discovered the threads in the plastic cup shell had all been stripped, making re-attachment impossible.  There is also a clear screwdriver (or something) mark in the plastic shell, as if someone has just prised it off!!  Anyone who has owned (and fiddled with) these headphones will know that to remove the outer shell, you FIRST remove the ear padding section by turning it right and it pops off.  This then reveals the four screws attaching the outer shell.  The tech guy obviously didn't know this, and chivved the back off with something, damaging the shell and stripping the screws...
    The store guy, to my retailers eternal credit, rang up denon immediately and politely but firmly told them of their errors and arranged for a brand new set to sent.  Anyway, just wanted to share (and vent) my frustrations.  I must admit the actual hinge pin problem it was sent away with had been fixed...

May 10, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #13 of 21
Denon has had QC problems with their line of headphones.  I'm not too surprised that it happened but surprised that its a "new unit".  Hopefully the new pair you're receiving won't have the problem but thoroughly inspect the pair at the retailer before you walk out the door.  The positive note is that the retailer is working with you on this issue and didn't blame you for neglect of the headphones. 

May 10, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #14 of 21
Wow!  Denon's own techs, or the techs they're outsourcing, don't know how to disassemble and reassemble their own headphones.  That's unacceptable for a company that sells headphones that retail for $350 to $999.  Even Skullcandy does better regarding repairs/replacement.  Skullcandy is better than Denon.  Ha!

May 10, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:
Wow!  Denon's own techs, or the techs they're outsourcing, don't know how to disassemble and reassemble their own headphones.  That's unacceptable for a company that sells headphones that retail for $350 to $999.  Even Skullcandy does better regarding repairs/replacement.  Skullcandy is better than Denon.  Ha!

very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back