BROKEN CMOY - HELP!
Jan 31, 2005 at 10:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Mouzike

Head-Fier
I bought a cmoy a while ago from a very reliable source. everything has been beautiful until recently.

For about 3 weeks already, i can only get sound in the left channel. I tried tapping some of the internal parts but nothing seemed to work. The only way to get sound into both channels is by pulling the line-in interconnect out a bit but that probably just splits the left channel into both earpieces taking out the stereo sound...

has anyone ever had this problem and solved it? do i have to get a new one?

thanks.

this probably won't help...but what the hey...

DSCF0412.jpg

Jan 31, 2005 at 10:57 PM Post #2 of 7
I would buy that off you and fix it for myself, and you could have a new one for cheap, ubt I don't know if you would want that, I live in europe. That amp seems familiar, probably his http://www.evilfire.com/plain/ build, anyway, check the jack, do you have any ironing skills? easily developed they are but do you have an soldering iron? if so, try rewiring the 3.5 connector

hmm thinking again, It's not his design but it still seems familiar for some reason

Jan 31, 2005 at 11:03 PM Post #3 of 7
it's actually designed and built by a head-fier...profingersk8ter....great guy. i just hope i could find a quick fix...pm me for offers if you would want to by it.

Jan 31, 2005 at 11:07 PM Post #4 of 7
When you get sound from only one channel, is it distorted? Do you hear anything from the other (static, low volume, etc). It could be just a broken wire that may have been ripped off since it was working prior (i doubt its grounding or shorting unless something got under the board).

Ivan C>

Feb 1, 2005 at 2:09 AM Post #5 of 7
I had this problem with the CMoy I built, those jacks look like what I was using at first, the CUI Stack CP3535 jack listed on Tangent's page for the CMoy amp. I had a lot of trouble with these, the right channel kept cutting out, but I could get it to work again by wiggling the plug around to make contact. This is not the best jack, and I just got some nicer Switchcraft jacks and replaced them, havn't had the problem since. If you could post a picture of the actual board with all of the components visible, it might help us see any problems.

Feb 1, 2005 at 7:42 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioNoob
...probably his http://www.evilfire.com/plain/ build...

How does this amp compare to other, similarly priced Cmoys? (i.e.: ZMoy) Of particular interest is the BG noise level (will it hiss?), and the battery life (i.e.: will I need to carry a spare 9V cell in my pocket?)

Feb 2, 2005 at 12:28 AM Post #7 of 7
I have an Evilfire cMoy and it's great.

It drives my Beyerdynamics DT531's fine, and there is no hiss that I can notice.

I have run mine for well over 24 hours from one 9v PP3 (WELL over 24 hours lol).

They are very well built, and the guy who builds them is VERY good at customer service.

Well worth the money imho

Users who are viewing this thread

Back