Broken Beyerdynamic DT-990s. Help!
Dec 26, 2014 at 3:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

rhcpepper

New Head-Fier
I came home tonight from my mom's to find my room cleaned. My grandpa did it apparently to get ready for Christmas dinner tomorrow. He took my headphones, stretched the nice coiled cord all out, wrapped it tightly around the cans, and somehow managed to bend the hell out of the band. Now they don't fit right at all and sound only comes from one can.

That's my horror story. Thankfully my dad has offered to replace them so long as I don't say a word to my grandpa about it, he probably knows I wouldn't keep my cool, haha. I am super grateful that he's doing it though.

What I'm wondering is, knowing that I loved the comfy feel and sound of my DT-990s, should I just get them again? Or can anyone recommend something better? Maybe just different, still comfy, but similar sound? I'm looking like around $200, roughly the cost of the 990s.

Suggestions appreciated. :)

Dec 26, 2014 at 6:43 AM Post #2 of 10
The only 'similar sound' you'll get at the same price would be the DT880, which uses the same driver but different damping.  It will give you the same comfort level with a flatter, more neutral, less bassy sound. If that doesn't appeal you'd be wise to stick with the devil you know--and I don't mean your grandpa.
wink.gif

Dec 26, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #4 of 10
What about something closed back? Or would that change the sound too much? Sometimes I like to rock out when there's people around me lol.

Closed back cans are great for listening around other people or where background noise might be an issue.  In general though you are likely to find them MUCH more "headphone like" as opposed to "speaker like (speaker in a large room)" that is provided by open backed cans like your DT990s.

For ones with similar qualities and likely often compared to each other:

I see amazon has the DT990 Pro 250 Ohm on sale for under $175:
http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-DT-990-Pro-250-Professional-Acoustically-Applications/dp/B0011UB9CQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1419630829&sr=1-1&keywords=DT990+Pro

The Audio Technica AD900x may also be a suitable (open backed) replacement and is likely a true steal at under $150 right now:
http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-AD900X-Open-Back-Audiophile-Headphones/dp/B009S331VU/ref=sr_1_1?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1419630738&sr=1-1&keywords=AD900x

AKG Q701 seem to be popular and is priced well below where this sort of can would normally punch (around $185):
http://www.amazon.com/AKG-Signature-Reference-Class-Premium-Headphones/dp/B004444OFK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1419630880&sr=1-1&keywords=AKG+Q701

And then of course you have the Senn HD598 for under $160, a can that many say is overall just a prettier HD600 at less than half the price:
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-598-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B0042A8CW2/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1419631062&sr=1-2

Closed cans?  I've used a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50 for the last few years nearly every day.  I really haven't compared them to any other closed back cans since I bought them but I don't think I'd hesitate to buy another pair in a heartbeat, when these finally give up the ghost:  http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50x-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR86/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1419631239&sr=1-1&keywords=ath+m50x

Dec 26, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #5 of 10
Ahhh good ol ATH M50s, I was gonna get those as my first cans but decided to go with the Ultrasone HFI-580s, kinda regret it because they hurt my ears. I actually really wanted the Q701s a while back too, they were higher priced then! God the black ones are sexy though. Those AD9000xs look pretty nice too, that seems like a way good price for those! Even though that is a good price for the 990s, I got them on a black firday/cyber monday sale for $150. Probably just gonna get something different anyways and maybe try to get these fixed. 
I think I am gonna go with open back, most of my music listening is at home alone and when I am on the go I have my JVCs. Do you know which is more comfy for long listening sessions? AD900x or Q701?

Dec 26, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #6 of 10
  Ahhh good ol ATH M50s, I was gonna get those as my first cans but decided to go with the Ultrasone HFI-580s, kinda regret it because they hurt my ears. I actually really wanted the Q701s a while back too, they were higher priced then! God the black ones are sexy though. Those AD9000xs look pretty nice too, that seems like a way good price for those! Even though that is a good price for the 990s, I got them on a black firday/cyber monday sale for $150. Probably just gonna get something different anyways and maybe try to get these fixed. 
I think I am gonna go with open back, most of my music listening is at home alone and when I am on the go I have my JVCs. Do you know which is more comfy for long listening sessions? AD900x or Q701?

I think you made the right choice.  I'd never use any of those, even the DT990s, for strolling around town or what have you.  They are all pretty much made to be enjoyed sitting at home (or studio) in a relatively quiet room.  Myself?  My first experience with open backed cans of a higher quality were the original K701s.  I loved the spaciousness of the soundstage and the great detail and realism they provided.  I sold them because the bumps on the headband hurt the top of my decidedly large head and because I wanted to try something else.  I've missed that signature "open back" sound ever since.

I've never tried the AD900x but reviews say they are VERY comfortable, once you get used to the "wings".  The Q701 is probably what I'd be buying myself (and still might end up with) but I got a pretty good deal on a b-stock pair of K712 that I still have to receive.  The Q701 has the same bumpy headband that the K701 does, the K712 does not.  I know now how I would fearlessly mod a pair of Q701 to make them more to my liking (something I didn't consider with my K701) so I'd probably lean towards them, even with the bumps.  Build quality might be higher on the AKGs and the replaceable cord is a definite BIG plus in my book as I'm notorious for rolling over extra cord length with my chair or even getting up and walking away... with them still attached.  YMMV.

Dec 26, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #7 of 10

I sold them because the bumps on the headband hurt the top of my decidedly large head and because I wanted to try something else.  

I know now how I would fearlessly mod a pair of Q701 to make them more to my liking (something I didn't consider with my K701) so I'd probably lean towards them, even with the bumps.  Build quality might be higher on the AKGs and the replaceable cord is a definite BIG plus in my book as I'm notorious for rolling over extra cord length with my chair or even getting up and walking away... with them still attached.  YMMV.

I have a huge head man, those bumps are probably gonna be a problem for me then? I remember reading about that in reviews... how would you mod them?

I also have issues with rolling over cables with my chair, so yeah removable cable is nice. 

Dec 26, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #8 of 10
Some guys insist that just by squishing them over and over again they will soften up.  Others have taken a utility knife and cut them off, like a doctor might cut off warts!  Ebay is littered with "hand woven" mufflers that fit over it.  Some people attach a strip(s) of soft foam either over or between the bumps...

But this is probably the mod I would do to them, using some really nice quality leather of course:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/655345/akg-q701-headband-replacement

Dec 27, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #10 of 10
I found out that not only is the Q701 cable detachable, it has 2! A 3m and 6m cable! That covers all my listening situations perfectly, I'm sold. Literally already ordered. I'm excited :D

Q701s have a more neutral sound signature than the DT990s. Doing the reversible Q701 Bass Mod will make the Q701s a little more "fun". That said, I left them as is and think they are a great set of cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back