Broke the wire on my Modmic 4 at the strain relief point. Need advice.
Jun 30, 2019 at 11:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Andrew LB

100+ Head-Fier
So my modmic 4 stopped working the other day after i foolishly backed my chair up and caught the cable of my HD650's on the arm of my chair, pulling them off my desk and onto the floor. After a bit of wiggling of wires, found the break was at the strain relief point and went to work attempting a repair. The wires outer insulation came off as normal, and the copper braided shield pulled aside just fine.... but it wasn't till i got to the center conductor that i realized something was screwy. Each individual conductor in the center bundle was coated with some green material that just didn't want to come off. I tried acetone, careful scraping with a scalpel (which did expose copper but eventually damaged each strand too much), and finally fed up with it, decided to just re-wire the thing.

So i've got everything disassembled. The boom, mute switch, and microphone (an electret electrostatic mic apparently). The only thing i need now is to figure out what type of wire to use and pick an appropriate TRS connector. ModMic's website says the cable is shielded coax and not a typical mini shielded microphone cable. It's 2.5mm outer diameter and the outer diameter of the center conductor (including insulation is 0.54mm and the center conductor itself, the best i could measure was 0.38mm.

I've been looking over Mogami's site since they seem to have an abundance of small cable types and probably the closest ive found is w2943 which is a little smaller in diameter overall
http://www.mogamicable.com/category/bulk/ultra_flex_mini/

I also was looking at a couple of their unbalanced microphone cables like w2330 and w2368. While they're not Coax, they seem like they could do the job. They're 3mm and 2mm outer diameter respectively.
http://www.mogamicable.com/category/bulk/microphone/unbalanced/

questions, comments, criticisms, and suggestions are all welcome.

thanks in advance.
-Andrew

Jun 30, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #2 of 9
Well apparently the w2493 coaxial is not available from any reputable seller that i can find by the foot. The only Mogami coaxial readily available is the w2444 which is incredibly small and likely a real pain in the neck to solder.

Jul 3, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #3 of 9
The ol' chair guillotine gets another ModMic. RIP my friend.

I wanted to weigh in and wish you luck and to let me know how it goes. Sadly, I personally am the wrong person to ask BUT I have asked one of our engineers we will see what he says (which could well be he has no idea where to get the right cable by the foot).

As far as I know, nobody has managed to rewire one of our mics (I don't say it with pride or anything, just that we know it isn't easy). If you try and fail let me know, I'll hook you up with a good deal on a replacement just for even attempting this!

Jul 3, 2019 at 4:03 PM Post #4 of 9
That second type of wire you linked should be just fine. Solder the inner signal wire to the tip and ring and the outer ground to the sleeve of the TRS. Good luck!

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2019 at 7:10 AM Post #5 of 9

I wanted to weigh in and wish you luck and to let me know how it goes. Sadly, I personally am the wrong person to ask BUT I have asked one of our engineers we will see what he says (which could well be he has no idea where to get the right cable by the foot).

As far as I know, nobody has managed to rewire one of our mics (I don't say it with pride or anything, just that we know it isn't easy). If you try and fail let me know, I'll hook you up with a good deal on a replacement just for even attempting this!

hey so the adhesive material on my modmic base clamp has worn away while switching headphones and wont stick anymore so I took it off, what would be a good diy alternative for that sticky material, i was thinking velcro, or double sided tape, do you have any other suggestions?

Sep 13, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #6 of 9
Haha this poor thread is apparently now the generic ModMic tech support thread :)

You can actually just replace it with the same adhesive. It's 3M VHB Tape 4941 (The number is important) 0.5" - It costs about $10 for a roll of the stuff.
Here's an Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/3M-4941-Doub...nding+Tape&qid=1568395128&s=industrial&sr=1-4

Alternatively, you can also buy additional magnets that come with the adhesive for like $8 + shipping from our site, about $12 in the US and it comes with 3. (It's the magnets and tooling that costs the $, not the adhesive).

You can also try washing your existing adhesive in warm soapy water. Weird as that sounds, it can extend the life for months more.

Sep 29, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #7 of 9
I don't know why more people aren't simply kit bashing the koss adapters found on the GMR lines and instead soldering on the correct adapter ends for their can's in question? I overall have not been impressed with the quality of the modmic and everyone seems to have horror stories about the production cable.

Dec 10, 2022 at 12:32 AM Post #8 of 9

I know it's a bit late, but i just came across this thread after killing the cable a second time and wanted to find the type i had used.

And yes, i managed to rewire your microphone. I actually replaced the entire wire before and after the switch with the Mogami wire since it was more flexible, all the way up to the little microphone cartridge. Worked great for 3 years until i ran it over again. lol.

Dec 10, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #9 of 9
Hah well if it makes you feel better other people have also successfully soldered the wiring since this post many years ago :) But good to hear you got so much extra life out of it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back