broke super fi cables
Aug 19, 2008 at 10:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

screwglue

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys so around four days ago i purchased some ultimate ears super.fi 5 eb earphones.

I've been using them a lot lately and today something caught on the cable and I yanked really hard, the cap popped off of the moniter? i think its called and the cables inside it broke. I was wondering if I could solder the green back on the green and red back on the red?

If i do, will that effect the quality at all? or would it if i did a poor job with soldering?

heres a picture of what it looks like:

2777036085_970410e337_b.jpg

Aug 19, 2008 at 10:44 AM Post #2 of 4
Well i would suggest to remove the old broken pieces and solder the leads directly to the earpiece. Not wire to wire.

Use a good lead free, preferred silver contained, solder. The solder should be shiny instead of matte after it has cooled donw. That implies a good joint.

If you do that there will be no sonical effect.

rgds and good luck

Aug 19, 2008 at 11:49 AM Post #3 of 4
okay honestly i have no idea what im doing so..i have a few questions.

as you can see the cable splits into two directions im not sure how i can put the leads in place if i throw the old pieces away. I would prefer to just solder the old pieces but does that not work out too good? it seems to be less work and a lot less risky.

Aug 19, 2008 at 12:02 PM Post #4 of 4
Oh it can be done, no problem but do isolate the solder joints. They might touch eachother or short circuit.
But the professional way should be to do with removing the old broken short pieces and solder them directly.

Rgds

Users who are viewing this thread

Back