Broke my Marshmallows can someone help me fix them :( ?
Apr 29, 2008 at 8:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

leoftw

100+ Head-Fier
Well first one ear went out and then the other ear wen tout . It has to do with the end connector (not sure what its called sorry) and when I move it around I could get some kind of connection. can I replace that or do I have to buy new phones
frown.gif
They only cost me 10$ but I just want to fix these. i have a couple of headphones at home that I could use the end connector off of.

Apr 29, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #2 of 5
Probably a lot easier and cheaper to just buy new ones.

If you don't have access to a soldering iron/solder/skill, you'll end up spending at least $10. Then you run the risk of doing more damage.

It would be a learning experience, though.

Apr 30, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #3 of 5
You _could_ fix them without a soldering iron or solder, but it wouldn't be the easiest thing in the world to do. Often you can simply cut a bit of the plastic insulation from a wire, then twist 2 wires together and it'll work just fine. I don't know if the wire from the marshmellows are like this, but I doubt it

What is more likely is that those wires are enamel-coated. This means that every little strand of wire is not only protected by the plastic insulation, but by clear enamel (think clear nail polish) as well. Normally with a soldering iron you can melt it fairly quickly, and then solder or twist the wires as normal. If you still want to try it, I would suggest this:

Snipe the connector off the end, and a connector from other headphones that you want to use. Take off an inch or so of plastic insulation from both pieces and try twisting the correct colours together. If after that it doesn't work, try using a lighter (very carefully) to burn off the enamel. It may take a bit, but it _should_ work. Once you've done that, twist the correct colour wires together, tape each colour up seperately (so the wires don't touch each other) and see if they work.

Hope this helps!

Apr 30, 2008 at 3:21 AM Post #4 of 5
Cigarette lighter does remove the varnish on headphone wire.

Would be really nice if they wouldn't put that crap on there. =/

Apr 30, 2008 at 4:41 AM Post #5 of 5
Just means they can run a single insulated cord to each earcup, makes things cleaner looking.

But I agree, it's annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back