Broke my iPod; have questions about Zune etc.
Aug 12, 2008 at 12:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Oya?

500+ Head-Fier
Hi HF,

I broke my iPod the other day and so I'm in need of a new player. I was just going to order the same model again. But if I do this it'll be my fourth 80GB iPod Video! And really I'd like to go for something else for a change of flavor but I'm having trouble with my requirements.

The one thing that popped in mind is an 80GB Zune, because I really dig the look and it's got a nice screen. Also it's the only modern player I can think of that has proper gapless... so I have a few questions for Zune users, specifically the 80GB model (apologies if some of these are stuff I should've Googled instead):

- How well does it work with LAME VBR MP3s? I don't really care much for any other format. Does it recognize LAME tags properly, does it do perfect gapless with LAME?
- Do you load it up with a music software or is it drag-and-drop? I'd prefer the former, but I can live with the latter if it's the only option or if the software is crap.
- What are your comments on its tagging and sorting capabilities? Any little niggling things (For example, my iPod couldn't sort Albums by year, which always annoyed me somewhat. Similar issues on the Zune?)?

Also I'm wondering if anyone could recommend any other player that has gapless (I absolutely cannot live without perfect gapless, which is why I'm having trouble with my options)? I remember the last time we discussed gapless there were only Rockboxable players (I don't really like Rockbox) and dinasours like Karma that had it, then MS added gapless to Zune which was pretty cool. Any other developments?

Thanks very much for your time.
smile.gif

Aug 12, 2008 at 12:56 PM Post #2 of 15
I can't answer your LAME question but I can the others.

The player is MTP and you need to use the zune software.

However there is a hack to make it UMS. You can also get it to work with other media players such as MediaMonkey etc with a hack.

Yes you can arrange the songs in order of year released.

Hope this helps a little.

As for gapless I can only think of the Trekstor Vibez.

Aug 12, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #3 of 15
Sup peck!!!!

OK, on w/the show! The Zunes now have gapless and from what I've heard they do it WELL. As for LAME (mp3's) it's very much compatible w/the Zunes. And you need to use the Zune software (I know about there being hacks for drag&drop but I'm not sure), it's really good actually.

Aug 12, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #4 of 15
Hey nywytboy!

Yeah the gapless is brilliant with the zune.

As long as you know it only works for albums like the iPod. So when on shuffle there is gaps.

Aug 12, 2008 at 2:01 PM Post #5 of 15
Zune file management and tag handling is a major PITA. You can work with it, but you have to bend over and do it Microsoft's way instead of doing it how you want.

Aug 12, 2008 at 2:01 PM Post #6 of 15
Perfect gapless with any supported codec (no need for those gapless tags). Some ppl are reporting issues while using WMA Lossless tracks with high bitrates using EAC. (Zune software transcodes and downcovert some of the tracks. reported by one user).

Use the Zune software. Highly improved.

Tags in East Asian languages are not supported on the device (must use a app in beta) just in the software.

Albums are not sorted by year on the device but you can do it in the software. Use playlist if you need to sort by year.

Zune, iPod or Trekstor are your only gapless option besides a Rockboxed player like iriver H1xx or H3xx or Toshiba Gigabeat F series.

Aug 12, 2008 at 2:05 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ashmedai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Zune file management and tag handling is a major PITA. You can work with it, but you have to bend over and do it Microsoft's way instead of doing it how you want.

Explain the file management part.

What tag handling issues ?

I use this www.mp3tag.de/en for cleaning up and fixing my tags and mostly for its powerful batch editing and file naming features. it allows me to embedded album art easily, too.

Zune software import these tags and even the album art easily without much fuss. Just one nitpick: multiple disc set tags import on the zune device is broken thanks to a bug on its firmware. software works just fine. (Expected coming from MS :p)

Aug 12, 2008 at 2:13 PM Post #8 of 15
Well, for starters you have to use a special tag field to keep it from breaking albums every which way. It doesn't respect folders, at all. It has zero configurability as far as such things go. You have to knock it over the hands a few times with a ruler to make it stop "helping" with your files. You can't transfer files without using their software, which is crap. And so on.

I don't particularly care for Apple, but the iPod has an advantage in that the official software really isn't that bad, and in that it's already been hacked to kingdom come and back. The Zune hasn't. You do it Microsoft's way, or not at all.

That said, the 80s are pretty cheap.

Aug 12, 2008 at 2:48 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Well, for starters you have to use a special tag field to keep it from breaking albums every which way

What is special about the "BAND" tag ?

Quote:

It doesn't respect folders, at all. It has zero configurability as far as such things go.

of course, it is a id3 tag based combo of software and device.

Quote:

You have to knock it over the hands a few times with a ruler to make it stop "helping" with your files.

No. You just need to uncheck one single option.

Quote:

You can't transfer files without using their software, which is crap. And so on.

There is a workaround and Songbird support is coming. And so on.

Aug 12, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perfect gapless with any supported codec (no need for those gapless tags). Some ppl are reporting issues while using WMA Lossless tracks with high bitrates using EAC.

Do you mean different albums should be gapless with each other as well?

Aug 12, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

What is special about the "BAND" tag ?

It doesn't get used often and it's incapable of inferring the same information that's already available elsewhere. Since I have to use their software, that puts me up yet another iteration before it can handle the files.

Quote:

of course, it is a id3 tag based combo of software and device.

So, you agree?

Quote:

No. You just need to uncheck one single option.

And then every time an update decides to re-check it. I hope you can get to that setting faster than the computer can start changing your files around.

Quote:

There is a workaround and Songbird support is coming. And so on.

Cool, let me get in my time machine...oh wait. So, you agree again? Good to hear that something is coming, but that won't do me any good until it does.

To their credit, at least it plays lossless now...provided you use their proprietary format. And they added fairly decent gapless playback (for albums only).

And it's still pretty cheap compared to other players with similar feature sets.

Aug 13, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #12 of 15
When Songbird hits it may be time to return to the flock of Zune! I hope when they do the update in Oct/Nov that they FINALLY implement the EQ (my B'Day is in Nov so I'm hoping for a little MS LUV!!!).

Aug 13, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #13 of 15
Hi everyone. Thanks very much for all your replies and for clearing the my question RE gapless.
smile.gif

And thanks for all the info on the Zune, the good and the bad; one other thing I forgot was that I didn't take availability into account first (didn't know Zunes were US-only) so I'd have to get one off eBay, so I'm a bit unsure if they're worth the lack of warranty. I guess I'll think on it for a few days.

Feeling a bit silly because I loved my iPod to bits and it's got all the important features I need but I really, really want to try something else for a change. I checked out the DAPs at JB today and there's a lot of gorgeous players (the iAudio 7 especially, looks real nice).

Aug 13, 2008 at 1:27 PM Post #14 of 15
The iAudio7 sounds spectacular. audition it and see if it's to your liking. You might end up w/a new best friend!!!

Aug 13, 2008 at 1:38 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

And thanks for all the info on the Zune, the good and the bad; one other thing I forgot was that I didn't take availability into account first (didn't know Zunes were US-only) so I'd have to get one off eBay, so I'm a bit unsure if they're worth the lack of warranty. I guess I'll think on it for a few days.

Got mine in ebay. Just asked the seller to show a photo of it working and turned on.

Here is an UK seller: Microsoft Zune Accessories - ZuneThings

Users who are viewing this thread

Back