Broke My Headphones. How Can I fix Them?
Sep 25, 2012 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Spenny

New Head-Fier
So I dropped the **** out of my laptop, and it had my headphones it, and the jack bent to a solid 45 degree angle. I managed to bend it back into place, but now when I have my headphones on stereo, the right channel doesn't output anything unless I'm holding the jack in a very specific position. Now, I'd love to just buy new headphones, but these were too damn expensive and I cannot afford another pair. Is there any way I can just fix it? I have no experience with soldering but I do have access to the necessary tools.

If you were curious, they're Pioneer HDJ-1000's. 

Thank you.

Sep 25, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #2 of 3
Yes, it'll be a 3.5mm stereo jack if it was plugged into a laptop.

You buy a 3.5mm stereo jack (from ebay probably).

You cut the existing jack off, with about 2 inches of wire still attached.

You make the soldered connections to the new jack, using the old jack and it's coloured wires to establish which wires are connected to the tip, ring and sleeve using a multimeter to check for continuity. Usually there is a screen wire surrounding 2 insulated wires. The screen connects to the sleeve, one of the other 2 has a reliable connection to either tip or ring.

The main problem encountered is that often the wires are not wires but fibre of some kind with a very thin metal coating. This can be extremely difficult to solder. Maybe somebody else knows an easy way to deal with this problem. One possible way is to solder regular wires to the jack and connect them to the wires from the phones with crimped-type connectors, but this will result in a bulky bundle which you will have to cover with shrink-wrap or electrical tape.

Anybody?

w

Users who are viewing this thread

Back