Broke my HD555's, need advice on upgrade
May 30, 2010 at 8:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

negerbass

New Head-Fier
They cracked after a couple of months, but it took a couple of years before they completely broke. I like to fall asleep listening to music, and i guess i rolled over them or something, they are now in two pieces. (or a whole lot of pieces actually, since i wanted to see how they looked inside:).

What i liked about the HD555's:
  1. the open-ness of the sound (probably tributed to the open construction?)
  2. detailed sound
  3. very comfortable to wear

What i didn't like so much about them:
  1. lack of "punch", or "fun" when i occasionally listened to a bass heavy pop-music-playlist.
  2. build quality, felt a bit plastic fantastic, and obviously cause they broke:p
  3. couldn't really hear much of an improvement when i invested in an ibasso d3 to use as a dac/amp from my pc (except for the removal of signal noise that the internal sound card had in abundance).

Is there something in the pricerange that preferably doesn't go over $200 but definitely not over $300 that let's me keep everything i liked about the 555's and fix everything i didn't like about them?

May 30, 2010 at 10:54 AM Post #2 of 10
Preliminary findinings:
  1. AD700's sound more fun, but don't really benefit much from the D3?
  2. SR225i sound more fun, but maybe even more fragile?

Can i get fun punchy bass with open phones at all? If not, I think I will sacrifice soundstage for punch.

May 30, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #3 of 10
Yes you can get punchy bass but it might not be as much as with closed phones. With open phones, you get more quality bass than quantity IMO. 

Those 2 cans are good open cans, with the AD700s more similar to the 555s than the 225is will be. The Grados will be more "exciting" to listen to as with the other phones in the Grado line. 

May 30, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #4 of 10
Shure SRH840 just might be the ticket !

May 30, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #5 of 10

Quote:
They cracked after a couple of months, but it took a couple of years before they completely broke. I like to fall asleep listening to music, and i guess i rolled over them or something, they are now in two pieces. 

Why dont use Iems? They are perfect if you love sleeping with them....

May 30, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #6 of 10

HD600 or HD580.You'll love them.Or AKG K601

P.S:I didn't think about your budget!

May 30, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:
Why dont use Iems? They are perfect if you love sleeping with them....

Ah, I have my old Shure e2c that I use outside, but at home I prefer headphones for comfort.

Quote:
Shure SRH840 just might be the ticket !

How about your own Beyerdynamics? I'm trying to figure out the system of Pro vs Premium vs Edition vs Manufaktur, and I'm going crazy. Amazon has them at $180. Though they're getting confused too over the Pro/Premium thing in title vs description. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F2BLTW and http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0011UB9CQ

May 30, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
Quote:

What about your own Beyerdynamics? The 250 ohm DT990 is at $180 at Amazon, seems like a good price?

If anything, I'd avoid the 250 ohm Beyers at all coast. I mean.... yeah, they're decent and all, but the 600ohm just triumph in every possible way. Not to mention the fact 600ohm uses the same amount of juice as the 250ohm version(believe me i know, i did quite a bit of A/B testing) The reason I'm still stuck with the 880's is because I don't wanna go through the hassle of selling them, I'll use them for the analytical/laid back /relaxing tracks and maybe even some gaming if i wanna win badly, but other than that 990's get on my head majority of the time.

For $50 more, you can get DT990/600 from B&H; which still has the amazing $229 deal like it did for the past 4 months or so.   Don't make the same mistake me and MacadanionHero made
beerchug.gif

But what do i think so far of the 990's? Well.. I think they're absolutely awesome and it would be true upgrade coming from the HD555. HU----------------GE HU----------------GE HU--------------GE upgrade. They definitely have the characteristics of what you're looking for, but need adequate source/amping to sound their best.. and i doubt that dbasso combo will do these any justice.  You can still get them and upgrade your equipment in the near future, but you already said it took you a while to get the dbasso, so you may wanna look for something else along the lines of a SRH840 or the M50.  AD700 is something you definetely should not consider since it'll remind you of the 555's too much ^_^

May 31, 2010 at 6:20 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

If anything, I'd avoid the 250 ohm Beyers at all coast. I mean.... yeah, they're decent and all, but the 600ohm just triumph in every possible way. (...)  I think they're absolutely awesome and it would be true upgrade coming from the HD555. HU----------------GE HU----------------GE HU--------------GE upgrade. They definitely have the characteristics of what you're looking for, but need adequate source/amping to sound their best.. and i doubt that dbasso combo will do these any justice.  You can still get them and upgrade your equipment in the near future, but you already said it took you a while to get the dbasso, so you may wanna look for something else along the lines of a SRH840 or the M50.  AD700 is something you definetely should not consider since it'll remind you of the 555's too much ^_^

Hahaha, I hate my gadget interest and this forum sooo much. Spent half of yesterday researching amps and contemplating selling my ibasso to afford a new one, but then I needed a new dac, or a proper sound card and suddenly my budget was up to $800. And I was supposed to study for exams...

But in the end I realized that I liked the M50 reviews, and will start off there, and consider a new setup if I've managed to save up some money from working through the summer. So I'll be on the lookout for some used M50's here, as all the webshops I have found want $50 to send it to me, and that's just not worth it when the headphones cost ~$100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back