Broke down and ordered a SR-71
Jan 28, 2005 at 6:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

waltermeyer

100+ Head-Fier
Well as the title says, I broke down today and ordered a pocket dock from that sendstation place, a nice fat 6" mini to mini from Todd, (not sure which one, he said it was 6" and $59. I dont know a brand name though.) and a SR-71, (also from Todd). So now from what I was told by Ray Samuels and Todd today, its more than just power. My UE-10's are only like 13 ohms I think. But they both told me the amp with the line out will open up a broader range of highs and lows and really let me know what my UE's are capable of. I dont own an amp for headphones so I was strictly thinking about power when I was considering not getting an amp for them. Then it was explained how by using the line out, bypassing all the cheap iPod internals like the cheap amp they use and such, its really like getting a whole new life out of my UE's. So needless to say I cant wait. I will probably see the amp and mini cable on Sat. or Mon. at the latest. But I just noticed the place I ordered the pocket dock from is in Germany! I probably wont see it for 2 weeks. At least. I am upset about that. I am going to go crazy waiting for it, looking at a brand new SR-71. I would love to hear comments and/or advice from people with similar set-ups or who have heard similar set-ups. I would like to thank Ray Samuels and Todd the Vinyl Junkie for all the great information today on the phone. They were both very helpful. And I can ask alot of questions as you can tell and they handled me with professionalism. Thanks again guys!

Jan 28, 2005 at 1:27 PM Post #2 of 18
Why not get the Cardas mini to mini? I beleive Todd carries it and the price is around 20 clams. There is no reason it would not be an excellent IC.

John

Jan 28, 2005 at 1:45 PM Post #3 of 18
I've spent over $20k on a lot of different audio gear over the last 14 months, and I have to say, the $400 I spent on the SR-71 is the second best purchase out of all of them.

The first has to be my various iPods and having all my music on me at all times. The third is probably the Sennheiser HD600 or Shure e5c's as my introduction to high-fidelity audio.

Congratulations on money well spent. You will thoroughly enjoy the SR-71.

The Pocketdock, on the other hand, was a waste of 40 bux. The fact that it doesn't "lock" made it unusuable for me, and I can't help but recommend the Sik Din over it.

And both Todd and Ray deserve every dollar and customer they earn. Kudos to both of them.

Best regards,

-Jason

Jan 28, 2005 at 3:15 PM Post #4 of 18
i agree with the above - the locking issue for me was key, the pocketdock kept popping off, but the sik din locks just like the apple dock does.

Jan 28, 2005 at 3:32 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by waltermeyer
But I just noticed the place I ordered the pocket dock from is in Germany! I probably wont see it for 2 weeks. At least. I am upset about that. I am going to go crazy waiting for it, looking at a brand new SR-71.

Not sure about your obligation to wait for the arrival of the pocket dock to enjoy the SR-71. Since you have an iPod, dont you plan to use his own line out available from his own dock station?

Amicalement

Jan 28, 2005 at 3:46 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by waltermeyer
Well as the title says, I broke down today and ordered a pocket dock from that sendstation place, a nice fat 6" mini to mini from Todd, (not sure which one, he said it was 6" and $59. I dont know a brand name though.) and a SR-71, (also from Todd). So now from what I was told by Ray Samuels and Todd today, its more than just power. My UE-10's are only like 13 ohms I think. But they both told me the amp with the line out will open up a broader range of highs and lows and really let me know what my UE's are capable of. I dont own an amp for headphones so I was strictly thinking about power when I was considering not getting an amp for them. Then it was explained how by using the line out, bypassing all the cheap iPod internals like the cheap amp they use and such, its really like getting a whole new life out of my UE's. So needless to say I cant wait. I will probably see the amp and mini cable on Sat. or Mon. at the latest. But I just noticed the place I ordered the pocket dock from is in Germany! I probably wont see it for 2 weeks. At least. I am upset about that. I am going to go crazy waiting for it, looking at a brand new SR-71. I would love to hear comments and/or advice from people with similar set-ups or who have heard similar set-ups. I would like to thank Ray Samuels and Todd the Vinyl Junkie for all the great information today on the phone. They were both very helpful. And I can ask alot of questions as you can tell and they handled me with professionalism. Thanks again guys!

more spending, more I tells you.......

Jan 28, 2005 at 3:50 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

But I just noticed the place I ordered the pocket dock from is in Germany! I probably wont see it for 2 weeks.

I ordered my Pocket Dock a week ago from Germany as well. After I ordered it, I noticed that there were some on eBay (new) for approximately the same price. Since these eBay vendors are located in the United States, the shipping times would have been much faster.

You live and learn.

Jan 28, 2005 at 9:26 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

I ordered my Pocket Dock a week ago from Germany as well.

The Pocket Dock arrived in today's mail. Not bad! Seven days from the day I place the order until the day I received the item. And that was from Germany to Chicago.
icon10.gif

Only downside so far is that the Pocket Dock will not fit through the opening on my Vaja leather case.
frown.gif

Jan 28, 2005 at 9:30 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by gnagel
The Pocket Dock arrived in today's mail. Not bad! Seven days from the day I place the order until the day I received the item. And that was from Germany to Chicago.
icon10.gif

Only downside so far is that the Pocket Dock will not fit through the opening on my Vaja leather case.
frown.gif

ah we should have warned you - it's a well known fact that they dont - but the sik din does.

Jan 28, 2005 at 9:49 PM Post #12 of 18
Ordering the SR-71 is not "breaking down" its called "crumbling into a submissive post with your tail between your legs"
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dont feel bad...

The SR-71 is the classiest piece of kit anybody could wanna own. Every time I post on the forums...its most likely that I have this setup :-

Rio Karma / Sony D-25 inside my pocket
Emmeline SR-71 inside the other pocket
Sennheiser HD-650 on my noggin

I go about my entire day in this fashion (unless I go out)...

Jan 28, 2005 at 10:03 PM Post #13 of 18
The Emmeline SR71 is flat-out the best portable amp I've ever heard with silky smooth highs, deep tight bass, a dynamic, musical sound and very low noise floor. It should be ideally suited to those low impedance UE10s which would highlight the background noise inherent in most other amps.
Add to this the first class engineering and build quality and you'll never regret paying the $400 price.
One option worth considering is using NiMH rechargeables. You will get a worthwhile improvement in the already outstanding performance and save money in the long run.

Jan 28, 2005 at 11:11 PM Post #14 of 18
I concur. I was pretty shy about the $ for the sr-71, but I bit the bullet and I'm very happy. Simply put, the sound blossoms up and out, you hear things you didn't hear before, things you heard before sound way better than you've ever heard it, and the sr-71 does a great job of "ordering and commanding" where exactly all the instruments and sounds need to go. I have a 3G Ipod with pocket dock, 12" cardas, and grado sr-225, and I am truly happy with my setup (even though for some apparent reason, I want to get rs-1's BADLY to really liven up and warm up my sound, please someone PM me and slap some sense to my upgrade-itus!!!). The pocket dock works perfectly with me, it snaps on really well, so my particular situation has been very positive.

I also recently ordered some plainviews, so I'm even more excited about the potential sound increase that many have stated as well as saving $ on batteries! Thanks Norm!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back